GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Power folding Mirrors.

I have a 2008 gmc sierra SLE, and I upgraded the stock mirrors to the DL8 (power folding, red turn signal, puddle, heated) mirror. I had to do a little mod work because the DL8 has 2 wiring harness and my original (DL3) have 1 harness. I got the puddle lamps to work... Now here comes the tricky part. The 2 wires that come off of the power mirror motor r Yellow and Blue. Only 2 wires, so if you connect them to a battery one way the mirror will fold in. Reverse the polarity and the mirror will fold out. In order to get them to work factory style I would have to purchase the switchboard to control the mirrors and the cpu has to be flashed to DL8 setting. Flashing the computer is pretty expensive and I wondered if anybody knows how I can have a switch (ex. power window switch), mount it to the dash. I'm stuck at how to get 2 wires to function on a power (in/out) switch. I think I need a relay but I have no idea what kind... If anybody knows I would greatly appreciate it..

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

I don't think you need to get the computer re-flashed... You just need the factory switch and harness that controls the folding mirror...

Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

Jr. Apprentice

Default power fold

Hey Turo

If you just want to add a separate switch you can use a single pole, double throw switch with 2 relays to make the power fold work. I did this on my 08 Sierra this winter and it works well. Hope this helps
    Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mirror Fold.jpg  

Default thanks!!

Thank u guys for the input!!!

to just have a toggle switch, you can make it even easier to torn the mirrors on and off (in and out)

The easiest way is to go got a trolling motor toggle switch at Academy or any outdoor sporting place.

http://www.motortechva.com/Images/209401.jpg

the switch takes the input power and output is both forward and reverse (polarity switched).

I don't know if you can get a momentary style or not....but see if this helps.

You need a DPDT " Double Pole Double Throw" momentary switch and wire it like this pic http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/atta...ch-reverse.gif

this is an example of the rocker switch Amazon.com: 30 Amp DPDT Momentary On-Off-Momentary On Rocker Switch: Automotive

Jason
    Last edited by jasonw; 03-01-2010 at 05:58 AM.

I was wondering if you had any issue with the battery being drained after the install? I think it is just coincidence but my battery was drained. I would think the relay's would consume power until the the switch was activated? I got a new battery today so let's see how it goes.. Thanks again for the wiring diagram!! It was a BIG help!!