GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Powder coating stock rims

I'm looking to replace my stock rims when the snow leaves these parts and had my eyes on a set of XD Hoss black but a thought crossed my mins about powder coating the rims I have on now. Has anyone ever done that with the stock rims with the smooth center caps on the 94-98 models?
    Last edited by Okimaw; 04-19-2010 at 04:23 PM.

1997 GMC Sierra SLT
    Debadged/demolded, Billet Grille, JBA s/s shorty headers, Magnaflow true duals, Magnaflow cats, K & N FIPK, Stainless nerf bars, Drop Center bumper, RCX 4" lift, XD Hoss Black, 33" DC Mud Country, Bushwacker flares, Black Bear tuned

There was an earlier thread on this, I think back in December. The guys on here were saying it's possible to powdercoat your wheels, no problems, but that the center cap would be hard to match since you can't powdercoat. I think it might look good to color match the center caps with the body if you powdercoat the wheels black.

'01 Chevrolet S10
    -custom air intake
    -painted dash
    -footwell lights
    -Strange Performance stickers
    -exhaust coming soon
    -Xplod Head Unit with iPod connectivity
    -12" Sony Xplod woofer
    -Majestic 400 watt amp, bridged

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
    :party:

Thanks Stealth. I just got a quote from a local custom powder coater and it was $260 + taxes for all four rims. I can't argue with a price like that compared to what new rims would cost. I'm not sure what to do about the center caps but I'll figure something out

1997 GMC Sierra SLT
    Debadged/demolded, Billet Grille, JBA s/s shorty headers, Magnaflow true duals, Magnaflow cats, K & N FIPK, Stainless nerf bars, Drop Center bumper, RCX 4" lift, XD Hoss Black, 33" DC Mud Country, Bushwacker flares, Black Bear tuned

Question

I was womdering if anybody had some advice on the proper way to try and paint the plastic center caps.I dont know if it would be the same process as painting plastic tail light covers which I've done before. seeing they're already coated some sanding with a fine paper would probably be in order

1997 GMC Sierra SLT

Quote Originally Posted by Okimaw View Post
    I was womdering if anybody had some advice on the proper way to try and paint the plastic center caps.I dont know if it would be the same process as painting plastic tail light covers which I've done before. seeing they're already coated some sanding with a fine paper would probably be in order

I had my wheels powder coated satin and my bumpers and billet grille painted to match with a satin clear and they are an exact match, you might be able to go to an auto paint store or anywhere that sells paint and get a can of paint to match and prep the centers yourself and save some money!
    2004 Chevy Silverado all blacked out, fresh paint and interior done by myself at KuttingEdgeInteriors...

Quote Originally Posted by KuttingEdgeInteriors View Post
    I had my wheels powder coated satin and my bumpers and billet grille painted to match with a satin clear and they are an exact match, you might be able to go to an auto paint store or anywhere that sells paint and get a can of paint to match and prep the centers yourself and save some money!
    Thanks for the tip. Thats what I'll be doing.

1997 GMC Sierra SLT