GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default American hotrod the series

I'm a fan of American hotrod, the series on Discovery channel.
    Never miss an episode
    I was wondering is it popular in the States?
    Peter Smet
    Haasdonk, Belgium

I can't stand to watch the show myself. Not because it's a bad show but it in no way portrays Boyd as he really is, if you are a customer I guess he treats you pretty well but as a peon working for him well I won't even go there. I'm not actually bitter or anything but when his shop was located in Stanton he BK'ed and named the company I work for as a creditor and I had an assload of money charged back to me for services never paid for.

Legend

you don't sound bitter.

Kind of gives you a certain insight to people when you're on the "Behind the scenes" doesn't it?
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

I've seen the show a few times, and the comercials that he does for brake companies or auto part stores or whaterver too. I think it's a good show overall, but it's not a must see for me.

So you're saying that he's more obnoxious in person? His name reminds me of an economics professor or a poet or something like that.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

One of my favorites that they did. Reminds me of zz top.

LOL obnoxious doesn't even come close but some of the cars he puts out there are definately works of art. Years ago when I was still doing route work after doing the stop I'd hang around and check out the cars and bikes he had in the shop and talk with the guys who were totally cool.

I follow the show for the guys that work there and how they do things.
    Not for Boyd with his crazy deadlines.
    Last edited by Davandy; 01-27-2007 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davandy View Post
    I follow the show for the guys that work there and how they do things.
    Not for Boyd with his crazy deadlines.
    I stopped watching the show when he turned against Charlie (The painter) and called him a traitor for doing part time work for Chip Foose so he could get his family moved to California. Now Charlie works for Foose full time. He rides his guys like slave labor because they are always expected to meet these impossible deadlines. He turns out some really sweet cars, but he appears to be a real a$$h@le.
    Tony M - Hampton, VA
    2006 Trailblazer SS
    2003 GMC Sierra SLT Ext Cab/LB
    ------------------------------
    Former vehicles
    2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ
    1989 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab/LB
    1976 and 1979 Chevy Cheyenne
    1970 Chevy C10

The show is okay I guess for the cars although rods are not my thing really. More into Muscle Cars. I like the others however can't stand what a major prick he is along with the office lady( his ex? )and the bald guy who is shop foreman. Reminds me a lot of that other show. What is it called? Rides or something like that. That show is about another well known custom car guy who buys junks and then transforms them into modern era muscle cars and then sells them at auction. He too is abusive and nasty to the help. Especially the parts guy who is stuck trying to find impossible stuff and then gets blammed for every problem. I couldn't work for either guy frankly. Their egos are just WAYYYY too big and out of control.

Anyway back to Hot Rod. Granted some of the peons working in the shop are dorks like Bluebear( is he even still there? ), and I am sure I would get a little upset with them at times as well, but I would last all of 5 seconds in that shop before Boyd, his ex, or the foreman would get a beat down. The way they treat the regular help on that show is just unacceptable. I have watched it off and on but mainly it is just when it is the only thing to turn to.

However, here is a little clue. Most of it is an act. Just like on Orange County Choppers the way Pauly & Paul Sr interact. Most is contrived for the show and is just an act. Not all though admittedly.

I like Overhaulin. Now THAT is a show. Not only is Foose a decent guy( from what you can see anyway )but he leads by example and motivation not insult and intimidation the way it is done in Boyd's "TV Shop". Talk about deadlines. I would like to see Boyd treat his help the way we see they are and only have 7 days to do a hot rod. Bet they all walk on him.
    Last edited by NHSilverado; 01-28-2007 at 01:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Yup, Overhaulin is an awesome show!
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by