GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Switched Power Wire Needed!

I have a 2007 Tahoe that I want to hardwire my radar detector into. In older cars, this is an easy undertaking, but I look under the dash of my 'Hoe and see a rats nest of wires!

Can anyone help me and point out a switched 12v wire I can tap into?

Thanks in advance!

That's the hard way. You can connect to you accessory power from your deck, or, you can just run it to your fuse panel and connect it over there and avoid have to take anything apart.

I went from the fuse box. Not switched power but easy. Try the mirror using this http://www.invisicord.com/
    2008 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 4wd LT1 Package with 20" wheel upgrade,K&N CAI, Magnaflow Catback Dual Side Exit, Tuff Country 2" Leveling Kit, Blackbear Tune, 6k HIDS Low and High Beams, 3K HID fog lights, LED tailight bar

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffer View Post
    I went from the fuse box. Not switched power but easy.

It could have been

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

There are plenty of switched power sources in the interior fuse panel... Just get a mini fuse tap and there ya go...

Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

Quote Originally Posted by TritonBoulder47 View Post
    There are plenty of switched power sources in the interior fuse panel... Just get a mini fuse tap and there ya go...
    Ok, I have a similar issue as I am trying to hard wire my radar detector and Sirius as I dont like the stock XM in the head unit......

Anyways, I tried about 15 fuses on the panel inside the cab yesterday and none of them were on the switch.....all were always on. Right now, I am using one of the auxilery outlets but I dont want to have to manually turn the radar/sirius on and off every time I get in and out......

Any suggestions as to specifically which fuse to tap into?

I drive a 2008 Silverado......

Quote Originally Posted by wheadman66 View Post
    Ok, I have a similar issue as I am trying to hard wire my radar detector and Sirius as I dont like the stock XM in the head unit......

Anyways, I tried about 15 fuses on the panel inside the cab yesterday and none of them were on the switch.....all were always on. Right now, I am using one of the auxilery outlets but I dont want to have to manually turn the radar/sirius on and off every time I get in and out......

Any suggestions as to specifically which fuse to tap into?

I drive a 2008 Silverado......

That doesn't sound right. There should be several in there that are off with the key out of the ignition (DIC & turn signals, for example). I'll have to go out and check mine later.
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

Quote Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
    That doesn't sound right. There should be several in there that are off with the key out of the ignition (DIC & turn signals, for example). I'll have to go out and check mine later.
    Yes, please let me know what you find out. I didnt see any of those fuses you listed on the panel that is inside the cab. I may need to go through the firewall and pull a line from the under hood fuse panel. Thank you for any help in advance.

Wheadman, I didn't actually get a chance to test power to these, but I looked in my manual & #22,23, & 24 on the inside panel should all be switched power. They are 10A, 25A, and 30A fuses, respectively. Even though you may not have these features, there may still be power to them at the panel. You should be able to use a fuse tap kit and hook to any of these, and just fuse the new wire to whatever you need for the radar detector (10A?). If you decide to pull power from the under hood panel, I am currently using #43 (10A) for a pressure switch with no problems. Keep us updated.
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

There should be a bunch of switched fuses in the fuse panel. You should have 2 fuses for the radio, one is switched, the other is not. If all the fuses were hot at all times, nothing would ever turn off.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast