GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default tail lights and dashboard wont light up

I drive a 96 1500 4x4 i was pulling my boat today and turned my head lights on. the dash board lit up for about a split second then went dark, my headlights stay on constantly so they still work and also my brake and turn signal work. but my front yellow running lights,tail lights, and dash board back lights wont light up. i checked all the fuses under the hood none are blown and i cant even find a fuse labeled running lights or instrument panel. is there another fuse box located somewhere else?

Sounds like you have a short in the trailer harness that took out that circuit. It should be fused. Open the drivers side door and check on the side of the dash between the dash and drivers door for a removable cover. There should be another fuse panel behind it. I thinks it's fuse #9 - 20 amp
    2002 Tahoe LS 4x4 5.3 Flex Corvette Servo AVS In-channels JVC KD-PDR80 BB Engine Tune Front Mounted Receiver
    1984 3500 3+3 Crew Cab 350 w/Edelbrock 600 700R4 w/Corvette Servo & manual TCC AVS Surface Mount JVC w/Sub

Actually had the same issue with my 1994 Silverado.

Turns out it was the Headlamp switch. It contols the dash lights and tail lights.

The twenty dollar switch is an easy fix.
    Pavement sucks... :grrrrrr:

1994 K1500 4x4 Ext. Cab
    PCM chip and Xenon 8000k bulbs
    350cu.in bored over .050"
    balanced Crank, 10:1 compression
    Flat top pistons,cam,ported heads
    Option Racing Cold Air Intake
    Holley Throttle Body Spacer
    Accell Igition, 45kv coil
    FloTech Headers, no CATs, dual exhuast
    Goodyear Silent Armor A/T 305/70-16
    Pioneer SupertunerIII CD USB Bluetooth
    Kicker ZX200.2 ZX Amp
    Kicker Audio COMP 10" Subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ed View Post
    Sounds like you have a short in the trailer harness that took out that circuit. It should be fused. Open the drivers side door and check on the side of the dash between the dash and drivers door for a removable cover. There should be another fuse panel behind it. I thinks it's fuse #9 - 20 amp
    thanks i never even looked on the side of the dash between the door jam im used to the circuit box being somewhere under the steering wheel so thats where i looked. i completely looked over that location that was a quick fix

Quote Originally Posted by treykelly84 View Post
    thanks i never even looked on the side of the dash between the door jam im used to the circuit box being somewhere under the steering wheel so thats where i looked. i completely looked over that location that was a quick fix

Glad it was nice and simple.

Beef jerky donations gladly accepted

It's the headlight switch most likely. The dimmer mechanism has finally worn out. Replace it, and it should be working. And if it isn't, at least it was inexpensive.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

i have the same problem now i checked all my wiring but it just keeps blowing that 20 amp fuse even with everything off would it be the switch
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by twospun View Post
    i have the same problem now i checked all my wiring but it just keeps blowing that 20 amp fuse even with everything off would it be the switch
    ?
    I would say it's unlikely the switch but it's easy enough to find out. Disconnect the switch and toss in a new fuse.

Switches and relays typically have B+ (positive) legs only and a bad one would either not work or make the lights stay on all the time.

If the fuse pops with the switch disconnected then there is a short to ground between the switch or relay and the fuse. If you have had an aftermarket alarm installed or any other mods under the dash then a wire could have been abraded or something messed with by a sloppy installer.

Gimme some more truck info and maybe I can help more.