GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Couldn't have gone worse.

The dealer said they drained the oil and didn't see anything (despite the fact that all they looked at was the drain plug.). They insisted that I was wrong and what I saw was metal shavings on the dipstick, and that the chips in the oil are different. The ahole told me this between bites of his lunch.

They did the oil change for free, despite the fact there was only 100 miles on the oil that was in it. They also rotated the tires.

While I was waiting, I spoke with finance about extending the warranty which was a waste of time, but something interesting did come out of it, there was a new guy shadowing the clerk. I got into a conversation with him and it turns out he was a mechanic. So I asked him if he saw a lot of 5.3's, and he said no, he almost never saw them for any reason. Then I asked him what the effects of E85 in a non-flex fuel engine are. His response was:
    "It's bad. The damage happens very quickly. The one we had come in wouldn't run, we had to replace all of the fuel lines, the entire fuel delivery system except for the spider. It would not run smoothly after that and would need a new spider to run like normal."
    So I asked if the flex fuel components for 5.3's are available and possible to be installed on a non-flex fuel model. He said that yes the parts are available.

After that, since there were no customers, I decided to talk with a salesman about the new models. He showed me one for a little over 32,900 with Z71 off road, 4X4 and a G80! So we got talking about the G80, and this guy was trying to tell me that the G80 was the automatic transfer case and all 4X4's have them. So I tried to talk to him about it (It even said on his monitor: "G80 Heavy duty locking rear differential") and he insisted that it was the transfercase.

Then I just brought her home and I'm gonna keep a close eye on it, I don't care about these chips anymore, as long as any damage happens under warranty.

BTW, the dealership I went to was Fitzgerald Auto Mall in Frederick MD. They're notorious for their kind and knowledgable finance office, and their biblically terrble service dept.

Regards,

Thomas
    1998 S-10 Blazer, 4X4, 4dr LS
    2006 Silverado, 5.3, 4X4, std. bed, 4dr Z71

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tfisher91/
    Pics of my Blazer are on my Flickr account.
    Want to bring the Blazer back? Check out this petition: [URL]http://www.petitiononline.com/blazer/petition.html[/URL] you don't have to make your e-mail public.
    Bring back the Blazer Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-Back-the-S-10-Blazer/250090813158?v=wall Stop in and become a fan some time!

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Loggerhead Mike View Post
    didnt hear this from me.... ;)

drain your oil, save it. run the motor untill she locks up, put the oil back in it and call a rollback to take you to the dealer. the gm adjuster wont have a choice but to give the ok to replace
    Wow, lol, I would definately not recomend that on al cause of a metal chip...now a reacurring lemon...maybe lol

2009 silverado Crew Cab LTZ Z71 4X4
    6in FabTech suspension lift
    35x13R18 nitto terra grapplers
    6k and risin

Previously owned vehicles-
    2007 silverado ext cab LT 4x4
    2001 silverado std cab 2wd
    1990 toyota pickup
    1989 Trans Am GTA
    1957 Chevy Pickup stepside

Quote Originally Posted by TFisher View Post
    Couldn't have gone worse.

The dealer said they drained the oil and didn't see anything (despite the fact that all they looked at was the drain plug.). They insisted that I was wrong and what I saw was metal shavings on the dipstick, and that the chips in the oil are different. The ahole told me this between bites of his lunch.

They did the oil change for free, despite the fact there was only 100 miles on the oil that was in it. They also rotated the tires.

While I was waiting, I spoke with finance about extending the warranty which was a waste of time, but something interesting did come out of it, there was a new guy shadowing the clerk. I got into a conversation with him and it turns out he was a mechanic. So I asked him if he saw a lot of 5.3's, and he said no, he almost never saw them for any reason. Then I asked him what the effects of E85 in a non-flex fuel engine are. His response was:
    "It's bad. The damage happens very quickly. The one we had come in wouldn't run, we had to replace all of the fuel lines, the entire fuel delivery system except for the spider. It would not run smoothly after that and would need a new spider to run like normal."
    So I asked if the flex fuel components for 5.3's are available and possible to be installed on a non-flex fuel model. He said that yes the parts are available.

After that, since there were no customers, I decided to talk with a salesman about the new models. He showed me one for a little over 32,900 with Z71 off road, 4X4 and a G80! So we got talking about the G80, and this guy was trying to tell me that the G80 was the automatic transfer case and all 4X4's have them. So I tried to talk to him about it (It even said on his monitor: "G80 Heavy duty locking rear differential") and he insisted that it was the transfercase.

Then I just brought her home and I'm gonna keep a close eye on it, I don't care about these chips anymore, as long as any damage happens under warranty.

BTW, the dealership I went to was Fitzgerald Auto Mall in Frederick MD. They're notorious for their kind and knowledgable finance office, and their biblically terrble service dept.

Regards,

Thomas
    Maybe its just me, but, did you want them to put the old oil back in? Or where you somehow upset that they did not charge you for the oil change they did? And then to end the story by telling us you knew the dealer has a reputation for less than sellar service BEFORE you went there? Why did you go there? You can get warranty work done at any dealer. Not really sure what your issue with them is.

Let's see.
    You didn't check your oil regularly and you drove the vehicle with low oil and worn out oil.
    You drive the vehicle and other family members drive the vehicle and not one of you bothers to keep track of miles between oil changes.
    You found a metal chip in the oil.
    And now you want someone else to pay for and give you a new engine?

....amazing.......:slap:

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by 1flyfisher View Post
    Let's see.
    You didn't check your oil regularly and you drove the vehicle with low oil and worn out oil.
    You drive the vehicle and other family members drive the vehicle and not one of you bothers to keep track of miles between oil changes.
    You found a metal chip in the oil.
    And now you want someone else to pay for and give you a new engine?

....amazing.......:slap:
    geez man, take it easy, the "low oil" light comes on well before any damage can occur, and as long as you take action when it comes on, you'd be fine, and changed the oil at when the life meter ran out, which these new vehicles can run for 8000 miles on the same oil fine, as per chevy, chevy should pay for it, thats what warranties are for

6k and risin

1990 toyota pickup
    1989 Trans Am GTA

If you don't change your oil and you let it go bad and low, and you damage your vehicle from neglect
    you should not expect someone else (GM) to foot the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by 383man View Post
    geez man, take it easy, the "low oil" light comes on well before any damage can occur, and as long as you take action when it comes on, you'd be fine, and changed the oil at when the life meter ran out, which these new vehicles can run for 8000 miles on the same oil fine, as per chevy, chevy should pay for it, thats what warranties are for

Master Mechanic

If you don't change your oil and you let it go bad and low, and you damage your vehicle from neglect
    you should not expect someone else (GM) to foot the bill.

did you read what i wrote? are you a gm rep? sounds like the money is coming straight out of your pocket... I like to think that were one big family here at GMTC, and theres no need for yelling, or calling people out, constructive critisism is one thing, but there was nothing constructive about your comments... just my $.02

6k and risin

1990 toyota pickup
    1989 Trans Am GTA

Whether I am a GM rep or not is irrelevant. And No one is yelling or calling anyone out. Once again if someone neglects their vehicle and causes damage they should not expect the manufacturer to replace an engine for damage they caused due to their own fault. Do you get why that is unethical and wrong? .....I guess you don't......just my $.02.

did you read what i wrote? are you a gm rep? sounds like the money is coming straight out of your pocket... I like to think that were one big family here at GMTC, and theres no need for yelling, or calling people out, constructive critisism is one thing, but there was nothing constructive about your comments... just my $.02

Master Mechanic

Whether I am a GM rep or not is irrelevant. And No one is yelling or calling anyone out. Once again if someone neglects their vehicle and causes damage they should not expect the manufacturer to replace an engine for damage they caused due to their own fault. Do you get why that is unethical and wrong? .....I guess you don't......just my $.02.
    I guess you don't see why I don't think that it was his fault, oh well, agree to disagree, i don't want to get in some battle with ya, but no matter what happens to my truck, if its under warranty, it's gonna be free, call me unethical if you will, but if given the opportunity for a multi billion dollar company to foot the bill, or me, well... so really though, I don't need any battle royal's

6k and risin

1990 toyota pickup
    1989 Trans Am GTA

I guess you don't see why I don't think that it was his fault, oh well, agree to disagree, i don't want to get in some battle with ya, but no matter what happens to my truck, if its under warranty, it's gonna be free, call me unethical if you will, but if given the opportunity for a multi billion dollar company to foot the bill, or me, well... so really though, I don't need any battle royal's
    Don't you (as a US citizen) own about 60% of that multi billion dollar company? Ever wonder how or why that happened?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast