GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 Last Post byLast Post by
    Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by doug_scott View Post
    Don't you (as a US citizen) own about 60% of that multi billion dollar company? Ever wonder how or why that happened?
    Nope, I don't wonder, it has nothing to do with warranty payments, it has everything to do with R&D, poor investing, greedy business men, and a very poor economy, believe it or not, when you buy a new vehicle, your paying extra for that warranty, part of that truck msrp is how they pay for your warranty...i may be way off base here, but I doubt it. If I have full coverage insurance and I fall asleep and hit a tree, it's my fault, but ill be damned if i dont do an insurance claim, that's what its there for, that's why I paid for it in the first place, and i feel the same way about vehicle warranties. with that being said, i check my oil, and do all other maintanance regularly, so it's not like i'm some guy that just burns his stuff up and gets freebies all the time, in the last 4 years of owning brand new trucks, i've used the warranty maybe 3 times for minor problems, none due to lack of diligence on my part. just saying that if something were to happen, and it was questionable on whether it was my fault or not, and GM would cover it, I would gladly let them, and most of the people who talk about "i'd take the high road and pay for it myself" are either lying to themselves, or have enough money to not worry about it.

2009 silverado Crew Cab LTZ Z71 4X4
    6in FabTech suspension lift
    35x13R18 nitto terra grapplers
    6k and risin

Previously owned vehicles-
    2007 silverado ext cab LT 4x4
    2001 silverado std cab 2wd
    1990 toyota pickup
    1989 Trans Am GTA
    1957 Chevy Pickup stepside

Quote Originally Posted by 1flyfisher View Post
    Let's see.
    You didn't check your oil regularly and you drove the vehicle with low oil and worn out oil.
    You drive the vehicle and other family members drive the vehicle and not one of you bothers to keep track of miles between oil changes.
    You found a metal chip in the oil.
    And now you want someone else to pay for and give you a new engine?

....amazing.......:slap:
    /\ You're lucky this isn't a troll forum.

If you don't change your oil and you let it go bad and low, and you damage your vehicle from neglect
    you should not expect someone else (GM) to foot the bill.
    Whether I am a GM rep or not is irrelevant. And No one is yelling or calling anyone out. Once again if someone neglects their vehicle and causes damage they should not expect the manufacturer to replace an engine for damage they caused due to their own fault. Do you get why that is unethical and wrong? .....I guess you don't......just my $.02.

You need to cool off and stop insulting people you will one day expect to help you here.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Oh, and doug_scott, earlier you asked if I didn't want them to put my oil back in, I didn't indicate to them yes or no, I really wanted them to at least drop the pan and check the pump screen. However, they just checked out the magnetic drain plug. And thinking now, because there is a screen on the oil pump, I guess its really not a big deal if crap is in your oil. Anyone else agree / disagree / have some pithy comments? Thanks!

Regards,

Thomas
    Last edited by TFisher; 03-15-2010 at 10:54 AM.
    1998 S-10 Blazer, 4X4, 4dr LS
    2006 Silverado, 5.3, 4X4, std. bed, 4dr Z71

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tfisher91/
    Pics of my Blazer are on my Flickr account.
    Want to bring the Blazer back? Check out this petition: [URL]http://www.petitiononline.com/blazer/petition.html[/URL] you don't have to make your e-mail public.
    Bring back the Blazer Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-Back-the-S-10-Blazer/250090813158?v=wall Stop in and become a fan some time!

Quote Originally Posted by TFisher View Post
    Oh, and doug_scott, earlier you asked if I didn't want them to put my oil back in, I didn't indicate to them yes or no, I really wanted them to at least drop the pan and check the pump screen. However, they just checked out the magnetic drain plug. And thinking now, because there is a screen on the oil pump, I guess its really not a big deal if crap is in your oil. Anyone else agree / disagree / have some pithy comments? Thanks!
    Regards,
    Thomas
    They put a magnet on the drain plug for just the thing you had. The screen will stop large debris from entering the pump, but the screen is not as fine a screen on your screen door. Note that metal will normally sink and sit on the bottom of the pan, but anything else gets picked up by the screen if it is big enough to not get through.

The best thing to do is send a sample of your used oil and have it analyzed. There are lots of places in the states that do that, not many in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by doug_scott View Post
    They put a magnet on the drain plug for just the thing you had. The screen will stop large debris from entering the pump, but the screen is not as fine a screen on your screen door. Note that metal will normally sink and sit on the bottom of the pan, but anything else gets picked up by the screen if it is big enough to not get through.

The best thing to do is send a sample of your used oil and have it analyzed. There are lots of places in the states that do that, not many in Canada.
    I never though of that! Thanks!

Regards,

Thomas

You need to start taking responsibility for yourself and not try and expect others to pay for your mistakes.

Let's see.
    You didn't check your oil regularly and you drove the vehicle with low oil and worn out oil.
    You drive the vehicle and other family members drive the vehicle and not one of you bothers to keep track of miles between oil changes.

Quote Originally Posted by TFisher View Post
    /\ You're lucky this isn't a troll forum.

You need to cool off and stop insulting people you will one day expect to help you here.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Regards,

Thomas

You need to start taking responsibility for yourself and not try and expect others to pay for your mistakes.

Let's see.

Never did I EVER indicate anything you claimed. You need to shut your mouth NOW. Those are some pretty serious accusations you are hurling with no base. You are messing with the wrong person buddy.

"""""Also, the oil was MEGA dirty, so next oil change will be at 3K instead of what ever that oil life meter thinks."""""""

"""""" Once the low oil light (not oil pressure) came on and I immediately shut off the engine and put some oil in it... """""""

"""""""So nobody has any idea how many miles are on the truck until the oil change light comes on.""""""

""""""I was changing the oil in the silverado today and I noticed, stuck to the magnetic drainplug, a 1/8" rhombus shaped piece of metal.""""""

"""""""I was hoping that the dealer could replace the engine..."""""""

Let's see.

Last edited by 1flyfisher; 03-16-2010 at 09:37 PM.

"""""Also, the oil was MEGA dirty, so next oil change will be at 3K instead of what ever that oil life meter thinks."""""""

"""""" Once the low oil light (not oil pressure) came on and I immediately shut off the engine and put some oil in it... """""""

"""""""So nobody has any idea how many miles are on the truck until the oil change light comes on.""""""

""""""I was changing the oil in the silverado today and I noticed, stuck to the magnetic drainplug, a 1/8" rhombus shaped piece of metal.""""""

"""""""I was hoping that the dealer could replace the engine..."""""""
    The oil was dirty ONCE.
    The low oil light came on ONCE the month we bought it.
    Yes, I did trust the oil life meter, only for the first 26K miles.
    The cause of the chip is still TBD.
    Yes, the dealer should replace an engine if there is possibly water in the oil. Luckily there was not.

Yes, you are the most base example of a troll I have ever come across. I still have yet to ascertain what your problem is, but it's probably a waste of time trying to communicate with someone like you. Why don't you do both of us a favor and keep your distance.

Master Mechanic

Let's see.

did you read my last comment? too true and justified to comment back on?

Just for the record, the only time I have ever used a vehicle warranty before this was the A/C in my Blazer, and just try to tell me that's my fault.