GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by tnhusker View Post
    About warranties IMO the time and miles are based on GM never having a major failure in the times set 5yr/100,000 miles. GM knows there could be minor defects in the warranty period and they also know that if the customer doesn't question a needed repair under warranty that the customer might pay for it without knowing. To use the term cheats this would be an example of GM being the cheater.
    GM does not even know you have your vehicle in for work, how can they be the cheater? I also do not know why a service advisor would not want to run it through warranty if it was actually warranty. I just took my car in today, and mentioned there was a minor brake vibration on the highway. Car is over 2 years old. I did not mention warranty at all (I enjoy the confrontations after the fact). They called an hour later and said they were going to machine the rotors. I still did not mention warranty. When I went to get it, it was no charge for the brake portion. I did pay for the interior shampoo though (the original reason it went in). And GM still does not know it went in today.

Using the OLI should be safe for oil change intervals but the OLI does not test the oil. It works off things like miles, RPM and engine hours I have been told. I didn't see mentioned the brand and grade of oil or filter used. This is not an accusation but it could be a time to take into consideration the oil and filter used.
    Since you mentioned it, I have changed to napa brand (wix) filters from fram -- fram used to be good, that's why my dad used them. But anymore they're most of the time not even glued together. As for the oil, it's always Mobil 1 Clean 5000, but I may be changing to Mobil 1 High Mileage because it has more ZDDP which is a wear protector. If I can find a high mileage oil in 5W-30 that's full synthetic, that's what I'll switch to.

Regards,

Thomas
    1998 S-10 Blazer, 4X4, 4dr LS
    2006 Silverado, 5.3, 4X4, std. bed, 4dr Z71

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tfisher91/
    Pics of my Blazer are on my Flickr account.
    Want to bring the Blazer back? Check out this petition: [URL]http://www.petitiononline.com/blazer/petition.html[/URL] you don't have to make your e-mail public.
    Bring back the Blazer Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-Back-the-S-10-Blazer/250090813158?v=wall Stop in and become a fan some time!

Quote Originally Posted by doug_scott View Post
    GM does not even know you have your vehicle in for work, how can they be the cheater? I also do not know why a service advisor would not want to run it through warranty if it was actually warranty. I just took my car in today, and mentioned there was a minor brake vibration on the highway. Car is over 2 years old. I did not mention warranty at all (I enjoy the confrontations after the fact). They called an hour later and said they were going to machine the rotors. I still did not mention warranty. When I went to get it, it was no charge for the brake portion. I did pay for the interior shampoo though (the original reason it went in). And GM still does not know it went in today.
    I wasn't picking at you in my comments on warranties. By GM possibly being the cheater as I stated was to let the customer pay for a repair that should have been covered by the warranty. When you have service at a dealer GM has it recorded. If you do the work yourself or a independent mechanic GM would not know about it.

GM should cover your rotors under warranty but my comments are also related to comments from other threads here. Many times I have read someone paid for a repair only to find that someone else had it covered by the warranty.

The topic in question is the chip in the oil isn't it. You expected a whole new engine vs. having the problem repaired. All I am saying is if every engine was replaced for a minor defect then GM would not be in business.

I looked back and you were not the original poster on this topic just a troll.
    Last edited by tnhusker; 03-22-2010 at 05:22 AM.

I wasn't picking at you in my comments on warranties. By GM possibly being the cheater as I stated was to let the customer pay for a repair that should have been covered by the warranty. When you have service at a dealer GM has it recorded. If you do the work yourself or a independent mechanic GM would not know about it.

I looked back and you were not the original poster on this topic just a troll.
    If by responding to posts in a thread is how you become a "troll" then we are all trolls. Or is that some shot that makes you feel better about yourself? Perhaps I am too ignorant to be offended by it.

If the dealer does work on my vehicle and charges me for it, GM does not know I was even there. You do realize that GM does not own the dealership don't you? They have no access to customer pay records. If the dealer does not do it under warranty, that is not GM doing that, that is the dealers call. They are supposed to honour the warranty, and you will get the odd dealer that mis-interprets the problem, and does not do it under warranty. You then have to complaim to GM, who will ask the dealer for details, and may ask you to return the vehicle so the area rep can see it. If you do not complain to GM, they will not know anything about it. Again, GM does not own the dealer. They are two seperate entities.

Master Mechanic

hey Tfisher, did you ever get resolution to the problem? find any more metal?
    Last edited by 383man; 03-22-2010 at 10:42 PM.

I'll let y'all know what happens next oil change. I'll also have my camera next oil change. If it happens again, I might start putting Royal Purple or AMSOil in it for that extra bit of protection.

Thanks for asking 383man.

Regards,

Thomas

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345