GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by
    Legend
    Blog Entries

im gonna do it as the budget allows.. since i am also returning my 1988 K2500 to the road after years of neglect from the previous owner...
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Master Mechanic

would these tricks work on an 06 4.3 no vortec?? also where do you start with the maf sensor and the baffle in the throttle body.

2002 Tahoe LT---------TINTED WINDOWS------------7" DUAL DVD INDASH

@ Lancer, all 4.3 silverado motors are vortec, its just a name really but yes please if anyone has tuned a 4.3 or installed a throttle body spacer, let use know!! Better than spending hundreds of dollars for nothing. Also I heard that they make a camshaft for the 4.3 that adds at least 40 hp but thats alot of work for only 40 ponies..
    06 RCSB 4.3 Who says a w/t can't look good?

Blog Entries

Well, I have the 4.8, but I do have a TBS, and I absolutely hate it. No power gains, no MPG gains, and an EXTREMELY annoying whistle sound on acceleration. To me, if you want to make your truck sound like it has a really weak turbo, install it. Otherwise, give it to charity.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    Im pretty sure the Vortec 4.3L is the same. However on the 09 i am pretty sure that you will void your power train warranty by messing with the intake. Not 100% though.
    Im gonna be trying a few of these tricks on my 97 blazer.. Im getting about 22-23mpg now.. Thats doing 65 on the interstate for all of you who think that number is high.. Hmm can i see 25 on the horizon.. We shall see...

The true Vortec 4.3 came out in the mid to late nineties. One way to tell is by the casting numbers on the heads and block, you can google them to find out. What is the most obvious way to set the true Vortec apart from the older versions, if you have the heads off, the valve shroud on the older 4.3 is bean shaped. The Vortec is more heart shaped. This allows less displacement in the true Vortec heads for better compression.
    Last edited by Michael Erler; 06-01-2010 at 09:50 PM.
    Aloha Nui Loa

Update,

Hey guys, glad to see your still at it. Sounds like some have had some good results so far. About the TB spacer, don 't do it. It was a huge waste of time, patience, and money. Also as for all the mods as mentioned, my truck now hates cold weather. So keep in mind your truck will not like cold weather once you complete these mods. The best thing to do is to just start it and let it sit till it's at full operating temperature. Once it's at full op temp, you will be good to go. So far I'm pushing a little over 18 mpg, and that's doing 80 mph on the hwy as well as stop and go town traffic. Not sure if I mentioned yet, but the iridium plugs are an absolute evil for that little engine. They cause it to detonate like crazy on cheap gas. My remedy for that was single electrode platinums and I run the high grade gas. High grade gas is a lot better on your engine. Low grade causes detonation which cause corrosion within the engine and is very harsh on it as well. If your on a budget, I would do high grade every other tank full.

As for knowing whether your 4.3 is a Vortec or not, the true Vortec came out in the mid to late nineties. The older 4.3 heads have a bean shaped valve shroud, and the Vortec has a more kidney shaped valve shroud. It allows for less displacement which in turn allows for more compression. You can also check the casting numbers on the block and heads and google them. The older Vortec 4.3 before the mid nineties were named so because the type of intake that was used. It had created a "vortec" like effect inside the intake, that's all.

Does anyone know where to find full rebuild kits for a '98 4.3L Vortec?

Hey Mike! Have you had a chance to get any photos of your mods yet! I'm about ready to start on the the throttle blade part.
    Goldie

Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    Hey Mike! Have you had a chance to get any photos of your mods yet! I'm about ready to start on the the throttle blade part.
    Goldie

Yeah I apologize. I been really bad about that, although I also do need to find my camera. How has the programmer worked for you?

Default ScanGauge

Thanks for the up date. The scangauge I mentioned is not a programmer. It monitors your driving parameters and allows you to adsust your driving habits for the better fuel economy. There are number of ways to set this up from instant mpg readout to ...you name it! It has been a real help for me to keep my foot light! This time of the year I can usually make 25-26+ mpg. Winter driving (and winter gas mix) drops it down to 22-24 mpg. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. Or take look at the cleanmpg.com site.
    Goldie

Unhappy Runs like crap

guys just need a little help i followed the advise,removed the MAF honey comb screen off, and cut the throttle body baffle ofF the buterfluy, know the engine seems to serge and has less powre, and worst off the gas milage has gone down>Does it need to be reatimed know that its breathing better? these tips are going to cost me over a 150 bucks for a Maf and of coures the wrecker wont sell just the buterfly buy its self so i have to buy a hole throttle body any help would be appreciated
    INFO
    2000 sonoma 4.3 vortec 2 wheel drive SLS with spyder injection
    Last edited by Missing-linq; 06-26-2010 at 11:56 AM.