GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I have a 2008 4.3L 6 cylinder with the same problem. I started having problems at 57000 miles and have done everything everyone else has but change the DEX-Cool. Mine does it every morning at just about the same place on the highway after having been parked all night. The ambient temperature in the morning is in the mid 60's and it seems to happen just about the time the truck reaches operating at 210 F. I pull over as soon as I can and pull the battery cable and reset the fault. I then drive the truck 50 miles and restart it in the afternoon with the engine at ambient temperature in the low 90's . I never have a problem in the afternoon and may drive it well over a 100 miles at that time.

Well, so far so good. Going into my 8th day and no more glitches.

Murdog-The place that I bought the truck from was not a GM dealership. I purchased the truck "as-is". I would rather do the work myself and try to discover the root cause of the problem than to pay a mechanic some obscene amount of money and "maybe" have the problem solved.

SVW-It is odd that this problem doesn't happen when the A/C is actually being ran, isn't it? Like yours, my truck only seemed to do this in the mornings when it was cool out.

I'm sure that there are plenty more people that have experienced this problem that are either not members of this site or just haven't posted here. I wonder if this problem is only V-6 related or if our V-8 powered friends are experiencing this too. Perhaps GM needs to do some research into this and issue a recall to fix this aggravation.

Just my .02
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT 4x4-Bone stock for now

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shadow32 View Post
    Murdog-The place that I bought the truck from was not a GM dealership. I purchased the truck "as-is". I would rather do the work myself and try to discover the root cause of the problem than to pay a mechanic some obscene amount of money and "maybe" have the problem solved.
    Got ya and i understand the fix it yourself. I misread the LT silverado and am assuming it is a different truck that i have overlooked. Either way glad its running great!
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

this just happened to me this evening! i went a bought a new thermostat to see if thats the issue but i think im going to try and pull the fuses first. If that doesnt work should i drain the coolant out of the radiator before changing the thermostat?

alright i switched out the thermostat (without draining the coolant, wont do that again) and disconnected the battery for a bit. now the temp guage is functioning but the needle goes straight up to the 210 degree mark and stops. is it because the Failsafe thermostat is for 195? should i be concerned?

Mossive, you didn't say the year/model of you have. If you've replaced the termostat, my next step is to check out the sensor and its connections (they can get corroded). And don't forget that the stepper motor might just be bad in the dash cluster.

oh sorry its an 08 4.3l v6 WT

I have a 2000 4.3L Silverado with 137,850 miles this morning my truck just shuttered and stopped . Glad to find this site and relief to read that the Temp Sensor might be my problem. Before I try Snorch's advice on resetting the board. Could resetting the board get me running again, Autozone is 4 miles away. Damn GM pump sensor failed, piston slap now this problem. What's next? Oh yeah lumbar bag went out on drivers seat. Don't get me wrong I like Chevy but now my wives 2005 Uplander is experiencing problems with right wheel hub.
    I appreciate your advice and help in this matter.

i have another thread on here major issues with 1998 chev blazer 4.3 v6 i am having somewhat the same problem my temp gauge runs all the way to red line and the coolant itself boils in the res but i have had it do this with the needle at red and the rad hose and block were both cold the only code i have is a p0300 general misfire code there is a problem with the emissions system no catalytic converter i have had the coolant flushed i have put in a new water pump and 2 new thermostats there is no coolant in my oil or white smoke from my exhaust i am starting to get really frustrated with this damn thing

Jr. Apprentice

I had this VERY thing happen today. Driving down the interstate.. glanced at the message about the hot engine / AC inop message and about crapped.. Pulled over, looked it over, no leaks no smells, nothing. I restarted the truck and nothing changed, drove it most of the day.. no change.. As I was headed home glanced at the temp gauge and it was right where it should be an the AC would come on.. I don't like the sounds of this!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast