GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 Last Post byLast Post by

i switched out the thermostat, now the gauge sits at 210 after its warmed up, will running at 210 degrees(if the gauge is accurate) hurt me in the long run?

nope 210 is fine.
    1986 Chevy G20 Tow Rig - 5.7 TBI conversion
    1978 Mustang II King Cobra Road Racer - Holley 650, MSD 6AL, 5 speed, 10 point Roll Cage, 9" posi, fuel cell, custom interior.

I have had the same problem too. I have an 08 4.3L V6. Did anyone think it might be the temperature connector and not the sensor? The connector is the part that plugs into the sensor.
    Last edited by benderman3000; 02-28-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Now it stays at 0 and A/C off with no particular trigger to make it happen , I just reset the computer and it is good for anywhere from an hour to usually a couple of weeks...

Mayde it'll act up again in a few weeks and I can spam this site again at that time.
    Last edited by tbplus10; 04-16-2011 at 12:45 PM.

"yuanyelss Now it stays at 0 and A/C off with no particular trigger to make it happen , I just reset the computer and it is good for anywhere from an hour to usually a couple of weeks..." Exactly as mine does and it is pissing me off, I notice it happens more with the head lights on and when my a/c compressor cycles on(which will happen whether your a/c is on or off) my lights dim for a second and it will go in to the "a/c off engine over heating". I have replaced the battery which did not help. I have googled the heck out of this problem and found others with different GM models having the same issue with no how to fix info. Near as I can figure out it is triggered by a voltage drop, so either the ECM(computer) needs to be re-flashed $$$$$ and/or the alternator needs replace............just waiting for extra cash to throw $$$$$ at it at my local GMC ***** Also if any one read my prior post about resetting the computer DO NOT turn on or leave on the ignition, just pull up the main fuse box under the hood for 10 seconds with the key off and that will reset the ECM.

My problem was the thermostat housing was leaking from the factory , only slightly. The a/c shut off and the temp gauge went to zero and the information light gave the warning. The little bit of coolant that leaked out caused the problem and the computer shut the a/c down. I tightened the two bolts on the thermostat housing , added water and lifted the fuse box up , this reset everything and I haven't had a problem since , 3,000 miles later.

so i do now know that i have a cracked head in there and cylinder one and four are missing 400-500 times per minute but i still do have some coolant issues and for some reason not to sure why but when the bottom of the truck gets wet the temp gauge goes threw the roof lol nobody can figure this one out

Quote Originally Posted by footballmoose View Post
    My problem was the thermostat housing was leaking from the factory , only slightly. The a/c shut off and the temp gauge went to zero and the information light gave the warning. The little bit of coolant that leaked out caused the problem and the computer shut the a/c down. I tightened the two bolts on the thermostat housing , added water and lifted the fuse box up , this reset everything and I haven't had a problem since , 3,000 miles later.
    Checked my thermostat housing and it is good so I just changed my temp sensor if that does not work( I will know in a couple days) I will take it to the dealer and have the ECM updated/reflashed or what ever they do to it

I have a 2008 Silverado. Same enging, same trouble. I replaced the coolant sensor after having Autozone pull the same code...P0128. Still the same random ENGINE HOT. AC OFF message. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the thermostat under warranty. 42,600 miles. Hope this helps.

No go for me on the sensor, I will try the t-stat next I have 80,000+ on the motor so it is due anyway............