GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

I have one more interesting note on this issue. Of the three time i have made the issue disappear for an extended length of time (>50 miles), it has been when i top of the coolant reservoir. That being said with no obvious external leak and nothing in the oil when it was changed, my next theory would be an cracked head gasket that leaks coolant into the cylnder when the engine is shut-off hot and the progressive leaking of the coolant there-in. The system is just being sensitive to the amount of fluid in the system. Yet with that said its hard to imagine coolant to combustion leakage because of the pressure of combustion>> coolant pressure it is possible (currently work for cylinder head gasket engineering group voice of experience). Thoughts on this theory?

Jr. Apprentice

Thought I would update this post for its been forever AND the malady struck a couple of days ago. I have read and read and read for answers to this and after all the reading and searching.. it seems that GM and none of the techs have a REAL answer on what is wrong and why these trucks do this. I have found the "fix" that I will use from now on. I found one of the tricks that requires no tools and really is not hard to do at all. When this warning flashes on the warning center and the A/C quits.. This is how I did it:
    1. pull over in a safe area, shut off the truck,
    2. open the hood and on the left side of the engine bay is the LARGE fuse center,
    3. pop the cover off of the fuse box
    4. look closely at the top of the box you will notice gray plastic "handles" that are locked down by tabs
    5. carefully pry the tabs slightly away from the handles and open (raise) them slightly one at a time.
    6. once they are loose, carefully open/raise the two handles together and carefully lift the top of the fuse block away from the bottom of the tray.
    7. You do not need to lift it all the way out or too far.. just away from the bottom /unplugged fully from all the "sockets" in the bottom of the tray.
    8. Wait a few seconds (at least 10-15) and then carefully replace the tray and seat the fuse block carefully lower and lock the handles back into place..
    9. Start the truck and the warning and the check engine light should be out.
    10 I had to reset my radio clock but NON of the presets

Hope this helps somebody out there.

Hey everyone. New to the thread. My '07 started doing the same thing and reset it by pulling the fuse box. We'll see how long it works. Outside temps are running around zero and slightly below, so I keep it plugged in while it's outside. Chevy dealer over the phone thought the block heater might have overheated the sensor. Doubt it. I'll keep you posted.

yeah im having the exact same problem as skyking75. they guys at sears that put the tires on my truck said my fans werent coming on so i replaced the relay. a few weeks later i was getting the "engine hot" message with no temp at all. it would go in and out just like everyone elses. i just replaced the thermostat and un-hooked the battery, the message went off and its giving me a temp. im leaving the country in a couple of months so i need to get this fixed before i leave cause the wife will be driving it.

Thumbs down No help from gm

I traded in my truck so I am out of the hunt for this cause, I know other GM vehicles have this problem to include the vette, cavalier and impala. I was in contact with GM about this and they know nothing...............so I am now with a different car company. Hey GM wake up and help your owners...........

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by robert_clark520 View Post
    yeah im having the exact same problem as skyking75. they guys at sears that put the tires on my truck said my fans werent coming on so i replaced the relay. a few weeks later i was getting the "engine hot" message with no temp at all. it would go in and out just like everyone elses. i just replaced the thermostat and un-hooked the battery, the message went off and its giving me a temp. im leaving the country in a couple of months so i need to get this fixed before i leave cause the wife will be driving it.
    Usually when this happens to me, the fans are howling! Thats one of the most irritating parts of it.. temp is at zero.. and the truck thinks its hot??! crazy!! These trucks need a head shrinker!

FIXED

I joined so I could tell you guys.

I had the temp gauge bottom out, & the fans howling, & the Engine Hot - A/C Turned Off message, I reset the fuse panel by lifting it to reset it, and the problem would come back the next day or so. Today I watched it come up to temp after a few miles, & then suddenly tank the temp gauge.

After reading, I saw people were replacing the temp sensor, or the thermostat, even the ecm.

Checking the coolant level while not running & finding it correct when hot, I didn't think anything of it. But I went by a mechanic's place & he said pop the hood. With the engine still running, I told him it was ok to open the coolant tank, cause the fans kept it so cool, it wasn't likely to spew, and it didn't.

Apparently the way they have the tank setup on the V6, with the engine running, the level of coolant is more accurate, and it was down. At that moment I figured out what was going on here. The level gets low, and once the engine comes up to temp, the thermostat opens, and when the coolant begins to circulate, the temp sensor is left exposed, the temp gauge tanks, and the system kicks into a safe mode by turning on the fans full blast. Which works well, maybe too well, and prevents us from seeing an overheat.

If the sensor was located lower, or another sensor for coolant level was in the recovery tank, this problem wouldn't exist, or would be different. Hate to think the heads might be cooking, due to a low coolant level, but then I don't know the design that well to know for sure.

My 08 Sierra V6 with 42K miles took 1/2 gallon of Dex-Cool "WHILE RUNNING" & warmed up, and seems fine now. Will try to update again, but it seems a done deal.

Enjoy! Spread the word ;)

**But don't open a boiling hot full system & scald yourself - EVER**

Jr. Apprentice

I checked the fluid levels before anything else and it my case it was not the level of coolant.. I did replace the coolant tempt sensor and put in a 210 degree thermostat and have taken the truck on only one long trip with the AC off ..it was cold (yeah we'll see). So I hope that this fixed.. but for me its sure wasn't the coolant level. I still doubt GM has a real fix.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345