GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Block Heater Battery

I have a 1995 Chevy 2500, 6.5L Turbo Diesel. I'm looking for portable power unit (A/C power) to plug the block heater into when I'm hunting for long periods (truck parked deep in the woods). How long would the following unit provide adequate power for the block heater to run?

Amazon.com: Duracell DPP-600HD Powerpack 600 Jump Starter & Emergency Power Source with Radio: Automotive

thanks!

Not long..... I'm gonna say less then half an hour...... which isn't enough for it to do anything....

How cold is it where you're going and how long are ya talkin?
    Last edited by Joeairforce; 02-27-2010 at 10:11 AM.
    Joseph

Airforce Veteran (7 years)

NRA Life Member

Talking about being in the woods by 5:30am and getting out around 6:30 pm.... it can get pretty cold here in the winter, low teens/upper singles. Yea, 30 minutes would be pointless on my block heater.

thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by keith4hunter View Post
    I have a 1995 Chevy 2500, 6.5L Turbo Diesel. I'm looking for portable power unit (A/C power) to plug the block heater into when I'm hunting for long periods (truck parked deep in the woods). How long would the following unit provide adequate power for the block heater to run?

Amazon.com: Duracell DPP-600HD Powerpack 600 Jump Starter & Emergency Power Source with Radio: Automotive

thanks!
    You might want to think about a battery blanket which will help pevent a draindown of your batteries, but it would have to be extremely cold to drain both batteries in 12 hours as long as your batteries are not near the end of their service life.
    2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD, Dmax/Allison, Taupe Gray Metallic, Line-x over the Rail & Rockers, S&B Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust, Rigid Dually D2's, Cognito Leveling Kit, Cognito Steering Braces plus much more.

"Suburban" There is no Substitute.:great:

SOLD - My Loaded up 02 2500 Suburban.

That unit has a 28 amp hour battery. That's not much at 12 volts. Basically means you could run a 2.5 amp device (at 120 volts) for about an hour. The half hour estimate would be just about right for a 500 watt block heater.

I think you have two options. First, a suitcase generator. The Honda's are super super quiet. You can stand right next to a running one and talk on your cell phone.

Probably a better option is a propane fired block heater. I've heard of them, for just what you are doing.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

maybe get some really good glow plugs lol

1995 Chevy Silverado
    Fully loaded!!!
    4Wheel Drive
    5.7 Liter
    Blue
    Best Engine In The World!!!!!
    Once i had a nearly dead battery and was only able to get 1 slow crank per attempt, Once to the fifth crank she fired up! (True Story)