GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Door chime adapter needed to pass inspection?

Apparently you need this overpriced door chime adapter in your truck when you install an aftermarket receiver in order to pass inspection.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMRC...w&rvm=ShowAllt

But I have read and heard that the adapter is not necessary for inspection. Any clarification would greatly help, as I don't want to drop $80 on a little circuit board and some wires. Thanks!!!
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

what inspection?
    05 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71, Silver
    Rough Country Full Leveling Kit
    Alpine Head Unit w/ xm
    15% tint all around
    Westin Step Bars
    Kobalt Tool Box

Default door chime

Save your money if you want. safety inspection only involves the major manufacture functions of a vehicle. http://www.ehow.com/list_5985801_new...tion-laws.html Everytime I go in they try to nickle and dime me for something, usually thier 100 dollar windshield wipers, they try telling me mine are bad everytime even when they are new. you wont fail for a door chime.
    Jeff - St. Louis, Mo.

2001 Chevy Tahoe

Dude that sucks ten cents of chinese plastic costs you 80 bucks. Bummer.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by tlperry68 View Post
    Dude that sucks ten cents of chinese plastic costs you 80 bucks. Bummer.
    you need to get the interface (data bus). gm's after 2003 need the interface when changing out the stock radio. it will mess up other lights and codes if not installed. also its a 12v power source, and no you cant just run one, i asked. mine was only 85 bucks so that aint that bad.
    05 Chevy Silverado

Led tail lights
    custom rims-285/70/17 cooper st
    Cold Air Intake
    5% Tint
    Billet Grill by Putco
    Big Rig Led Light Bars-Recon
    Lund Runnning Boards
    Custom mud flaps
    Leveling kit from JC Whitney

Quote Originally Posted by skulls17_bob View Post
    you need to get the interface (data bus). gm's after 2003 need the interface when changing out the stock radio. it will mess up other lights and codes if not installed. also its a 12v power source, and no you cant just run one, i asked. mine was only 85 bucks so that aint that bad.
    What? The only thing replacing my factory radio did was improve my audio. Oh...I did lose the door chime, seqt belt reminder chime, onStar, and the turn signal clicker

It didnt mess up my lights or throw and codes...if you cant live without the those things get the adapter...

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

call your local state police troop. They will tell you the truth.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

I called them up and its not needed for inspection, however I'm hesitant about replacing the radio now without the adapter if what skulls17_bob says is true. Does anyone know of an alternative to the $80 door chime adapter or if it really is totally necessary? I don't want to have a bunch of warning lights and crap clogging up my dash lol
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

If you use the cheaper adapter you would only lose the chime and On-Star(if equipped) as far as I know. I'm not 100% on what all you would lose b/c my newest truck is a 2000. I did install a new system in my friend's 07 NBS base model. He lost just his door chime, nothing else.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

You wont lose anything without the adapter besides chimes and onstar. And it actually is possible to run a 12 volt accessory wire for ignition from under the dash. So dont let a shop tell you that. I work in a stereo shop and we always tell people that have pretty much anything but the nbs that you can go the cheaper way and lose chimes. Never had any problems throwin codes and i have this done on my 03

Cody
    Grand Prairie, TX
    2003 Silverado LS
    4.8 V8
    Helix Power Tower Throttle Body Spacer
    Cherrybomb Extreme single 3 in/dual 2.5 out dumped
    8000k HIDs
    3.73 gears
    BFG Long Trail T/A's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast