GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 118 of 239 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168218 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 2390

Today we swapped out the old trans fo9r a newer unit out of a vortec S10.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATS700R4070112.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	41296

Brian Larson CST. KC9DAK.
    Janesville WI.
    87 GMC G20 6.2 diesel.

On Sunday I fabricated and painted a bracket for hanging a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller; I also cut down matching #8-32 hex head bolts to use as replacements for the phillips head screws that came with the unit. I then trimmed the height of the manual brake lever in order to make it match the height as measured at the lever's mount point in the center of the unit.

Between coats of paint and clearcoat I removed and modified one of the storage areas in the center of the dash to accept the bracket I had constructed ... and also accept the Prodigy P3's wiring harness from the rear. Next I mated a GM brake controller harness with the harness that came with the Prodigy P3 (to give me the length I'd need to reach my mounting location); connections were crimped, soldered and wrapped in heat shrink tubing, and the resulting 6' harness was protected with 3/8" wire loom. Once done I connected the 6' harness to the truck and routed it to my mounting location.

When the painted bracket was dry enough I mounted it inside the storage area I had prepped ... and then secured the Prodigy P3 brake controller in the bracket. Once done, the 6' harness was connected to the Prodigy P3, the cig lighter and aux socket were reconnected, and the storage area's panel was placed back into the dash. Voila, a brake controller I can easily see AND easily reach.

I did all of this with no connection to the power grid. A storm came through and knocked out power circa 2pm EDT; it came back about 20 mins ago. So, my soldering, dremel work, and grinder work were all done using an inverter connected to the truck's auxiliary battery. A blow torch was used for the heat shrink tubing work.

By the time I was done with the install it was dark and I was working from the light of a flashlight, so I don't have pics of the final product, yet. (The flash on my phone is atroxiously bad; it might as well not exist.) I'll take some later, today (now Monday), as I need to test the unit.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 07-02-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    On Sunday I fabricated and painted a bracket for hanging a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller; I also cut down matching #8-32 hex head bolts to use as replacements for the phillips head screws that came with the unit. I then trimmed the height of the manual brake lever in order to make it match the height as measured at the lever's mount point in the center of the unit.

Between coats of paint and clearcoat I removed and modified one of the storage areas in the center of the dash to accept the bracket I had constructed ... and also accept the Prodigy P3's wiring harness from the rear. Next I mated a GM brake controller harness with the harness that came with the Prodigy P3 (to give me the length I'd need to reach my mounting location); connections were crimped, soldered and wrapped in heat shrink tubing, and the resulting 6' harness was protected with 3/8" wire loom. Once done I connected the 6' harness to the truck and routed it to my mounting location.

When the painted bracket was dry enough I mounted it inside the storage area I had prepped ... and then secured the Prodigy P3 brake controller in the bracket. Once done, the 6' harness was connected to the Prodigy P3, the cig lighter and aux socket were reconnected, and the storage area's panel was placed back into the dash. Voila, a brake controller I can easily see AND easily reach.

I did all of this with no connection to the power grid. A storm came through and knocked out power circa 2pm EDT; it came back about 20 mins ago. So, my soldering, dremel work, and grinder work were all done using an inverter connected to the truck's auxiliary battery. A blow torch was used for the heat shrink tubing work.

By the time I was done with the install it was dark and I was working from the light of a flashlight, so I don't have pics of the final product, yet. (The flash on my phone is atroxiously bad; it might as well not exist.) I'll take some later, today (now Monday), as I need to test the unit.
    Very nice install Surreal. A few challenges didn't detour you, but I won't expect anything less from you.

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!

looks good surreal!

nice and clean!

got my front windows tinted today. looks good. wont be going back to that shop again tho. didnt listen to what I wanted done on the windsheild. ended up ripping the windsheild part of it off. upon reading reviews online it looks like i shouldt have gone there to begin with. live and learn,

Alex
    Last edited by Sierraowner5.3; 07-02-2012 at 07:39 PM.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Drove back from Vancouver to Edmonton. And I used just over a tank of gas. So I'm finally getting about 1000km per tank. That puts me around 19-20mpg highway. Thats a number I can live with considering my Silverado with less weight, a smaller engine, and more fuel efficient gearing would get about 24mpg on that same type of trip. I could only get that kind of fuel economy out of either truck with the performance tune installed though.

Side note... I love my Avalanche for going on road trips. It's comfortable, it handles well, and theres lots of room.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Today I connected a trailer emulator to the 7-way trailer connector to test my brake controller installation. All looked good EXCEPT the brake controller wasn't seeing a connection to a trailer. I traced the problem and found that the 7-way trailer connector, itself, was the culprit. Apparently when it was installed at the factory someone (or some machine) wasn't careful ... resulting in pin #2 (at the 5 o'clock position) being bent outward rather than slotting into the connection from the vehicle harness. A little work with a pair of needle nose pliers and the pin was straight; the harness was reconnected and everything tested out fine. Yay!

Then I washed and detailed the truck because I'm done with mods, this week, and needed some quality time with my truck.

Name:	2012-07-01 19.34.32.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	41395 i rattle canned my old faded gray crappy grill black and lime green yesterday and sprayed the shocks and leaf springs lime green for the hell of it. Don't see that everyday do you!
    “The only good race pace is suicide pace,
    and today looks like a good day to die.”

*Most the things people think they know about him are probably false*

finally drove the truck yesterday after it sat for about 2 weeks
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Love2run View Post

Name:	2012-07-01 19.34.32.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	41395 i rattle canned my old faded gray crappy grill black and lime green yesterday and sprayed the shocks and leaf springs lime green for the hell of it. Don't see that everyday do you!
    Nice shade of green. Lets see some more pictures!

2012 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 4.8L 4x4
    - Nitto Tera Grapler 265/70R17, Line-X bed liner, Black Bowties, Stampede front deflector, DeeZee black diamond plate bed rails, TonnoPro Lo-roll cover, Antenna deleted, Spyder Projection Headlights with Phillips CrystalVision Ultra bulbs, Spyder Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Rough Country leveling kit, PlastiDip'd emblems, and wheel hubs, Diablosport Trinity, 20% tint, Black OEM grill

"Coming through in a new Chevy, droppin' game like it's too heavy."