GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 201 of 239 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 2390
  1. #2001

    Default

    Today I checked under the truck and .... (wait for it) ... there was a farking t-case or tranny fluid drip/leak under it ... as well as a mild coating of the stuff under the truck. I called the tranny mech and he'll be looking at it (again) in the morning. I'm starting to get irritated, now, as this guy was supposedly good. FFS...

  2. #2002

    Default

    I took mine to the car wash and gave it a good cleaning. Now it's nice and shiny again... for a while anyway. Winters here suck for keeping vehicles clean.

    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck


  3. #2003

  4. #2004

    Default

    Well, I gave my truck a bath, put the black grill back on and ripped the running boards/mudflaps off!

    I want to take that front air dam off but I think it protects the belt...thoughts?


  5. #2005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2011laserblue View Post
    Well, I gave my truck a bath, put the black grill back on and ripped the running boards/mudflaps off!

    I want to take that front air dam off but I think it protects the belt...thoughts?
    I have been thinking about doing that with mine too laser! I was scared because of the same thoughts of that it kind of helps protect the underbody.

  6. #2006

    Default

    I've seen a lot of guys do it...I'm just not sure about it yet.

  7. #2007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Today I checked under the truck and .... (wait for it) ... there was a farking t-case or tranny fluid drip/leak under it ... as well as a mild coating of the stuff under the truck. I called the tranny mech and he'll be looking at it (again) in the morning. I'm starting to get irritated, now, as this guy was supposedly good. FFS...

    Check the output shaft seal. I replaced mine about 3-4 times as well. This last one I spent the money on the dealer seal (and put a touch of rtv gasket maker on the lip just in case) and no more leaking. I used timken and NAPA seals and kept getting leaks (this was after fixing the pump rub), those seals were about 25 each and the dealer one was 85, so I ended up spending 75 on the aftermarket seals and then still spending the 85 for OEM. Comparing the seals side to side the dealer seal was actually a much higher quality seal.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

  8. #2008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    Check the output shaft seal. I replaced mine about 3-4 times as well. This last one I spent the money on the dealer seal (and put a touch of rtv gasket maker on the lip just in case) and no more leaking. I used timken and NAPA seals and kept getting leaks (this was after fixing the pump rub), those seals were about 25 each and the dealer one was 85, so I ended up spending 75 on the aftermarket seals and then still spending the 85 for OEM. Comparing the seals side to side the dealer seal was actually a much higher quality seal.
    This was spot-on. The first time around it was a NAPA rear seal. Today it was replaced with an OEM rear seal from the stealership. The part cost was, indeed, about 3x as much ... however the difference in the seals is night/day.

    In my case it cost me time and fuel to drive to the mech (which is 50 miles from where I live [i.e. 100mi round trip] ... but close to where I work on my truck on weekends) ... and I gave up my truck for a full day each time (a grand total of three times). However, I only paid for the part once ... and it was the NAPA seal I paid for. The mech doing the work ate the cost difference for the OEM seal. He also handed me 40 clams in cash for gas and apologized profusely for the hassles.

    I think this time it's fixed for good. (That, by the way, should make what I did to my truck obvious ... I drove it to the mech for more TLC ... but only after loading it up with a truckload of stuff to drop off in storage since it's near the mech's garage. I filled up at some point, too ... then I drove back home.)

    Quote Originally Posted by 2011laserblue View Post
    I want to take that front air dam off but I think it protects the belt...thoughts?
    The lower air dam is there for mpg improvements ... which you impacted when you lifted the truck. So go ahead and remove it. (Mine's been gone since the day I got the truck!)

    Also note that the plastic rivets that hold it in place are meant to be easy to remove/replace (once you know how they work). It's common for folks in stock height trucks to remove it to gain ground clearance prior to off-roading ... and then replace it when they're back on pavement. This means you can give it a try and see what you think and, if not satisfied, just put it back on.

  9. #2009

    Default

    I had a local shop install a short throw shift kit for my 5 speed manual trans. Picked it up this afternoon and put few miles on it to practice...it's nice!

  10. #2010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post

    The lower air dam is there for mpg improvements ... which you impacted when you lifted the truck. So go ahead and remove it. (Mine's been gone since the day I got the truck!)

    Also note that the plastic rivets that hold it in place are meant to be easy to remove/replace (once you know how they work). It's common for folks in stock height trucks to remove it to gain ground clearance prior to off-roading ... and then replace it when they're back on pavement. This means you can give it a try and see what you think and, if not satisfied, just put it back on.
    Awesome, thanks for the help!
    What do you think of the black grille Surreal? I know you really liked the grill I previously had on there...but I am very happy with how it looks with the black.

Similar Threads

  1. I Seafoamed my truck today.
    By ZSI52 in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 09-03-2012, 01:32 PM
  2. Put the truck in the ditch today
    By pmf608 in forum Chevy Truck Talk & News
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 10:53 AM
  3. Truck died twice today...
    By texas99lb in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-06-2010, 01:13 AM
  4. Truck in the shop today...
    By Delmarva in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 11:39 AM
  5. truck over reved today?
    By etpn13 in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-22-2009, 02:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •