GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Rear Lift

Default Rear Lift

So here is the deal. I have 7 1/2" lift in the front of my truck and about 6 1/2" in the back (once I add the weight of my spare tire and baja spare tire carrier). So I need an extra inch of lift in the rear to be level (which I want). I am already running a 5 inch block and an add a leaf in the rear, so I am pretty much maxed out. I was considering a shackle flip, but, do not have the tools or know how, so I guess I am looking at new leaf springs. Anyone have any suggestions??

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    6" Suspension Lift and 1.5" Body Lift
    20x9 Ballistic Jesters w/35" Toyo Open Country MT's & 1.5" rear wheel spacers
    4:56 Yukon Gears
    Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator
    Baja style bed mount spare tire carrier
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals
    Tint, Line-X bedliner, Window visors, Rear wheel well liners
    Painted front grill, bow ties and door badges, de-"lettered" tailgate
    Powder coated front and rear bumpers

I would find a spring shop and have the springs re-arched and leaves added to achieve the desired height, I had this done on an old Dodge truck several years ago, they removed the 4" Rancho lift block and re-configured the rear leaf pack to give me 6" of lift. I would be worried about drive shaft angles at 6" and above though, they put spacers between the cross member and frame to help out with the excessive drive shaft angle. One other thing, the re-configured leaf pack will ride pretty rough!
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adampaul1964 View Post
    I would find a spring shop and have the springs re-arched and leaves added to achieve the desired height, I had this done on an old Dodge truck several years ago, they removed the 4" Rancho lift block and re-configured the rear leaf pack to give me 6" of lift. I would be worried about drive shaft angles at 6" and above though, they put spacers between the cross member and frame to help out with the excessive drive shaft angle. One other thing, the re-configured leaf pack will ride pretty rough!
    Agreed. It will ride like a lumber wagon!

IF YOU AINT FIRST, YOUR LAST!

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71
    K&N Intake
    Flowmasters
    6K HID Lows, Highs, Fogs
    3 Piece Billet grille
    De-badged
    Autopage Remote Start
    3000 Watt Stereo System
    Truxedo Bed Cover
    3 Inch lift
    33x11.5 Nittos
    18" Weld Wheels

I did not think about having the leaf pack re-configured. I was thinking about buying a 6 inch lift aftermarket leaf pack and use a small 2 inch block or zero rate leaf machined with the proper degree to address the pinion angle issue.

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals

I think that would work, but would you could also do is get an air-ride leveling kit. Level ride and smoothness in one package or you could possibly get longer shackles. Look out for axle wrap though, it may be a problem with that much lift.

'01 Chevrolet S10
    -custom air intake
    -painted dash
    -footwell lights
    -Strange Performance stickers
    -exhaust coming soon
    -Xplod Head Unit with iPod connectivity
    -12" Sony Xplod woofer
    -Majestic 400 watt amp, bridged

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
    :party:

Sr. Engineer

I'm not sure what you use your truck for, but with the lift springs I got the ride quality is about the same as it was stock but it really squats if you put any weight on the back (like a decent sized trailer) the back end sags a lot. I'd say twice as much for the same weight as stock.

Is your rear sitting that low already or are you just guessing it'll sit that low once you have the extra weight back there? If you're getting rid of the spare tire hanging under the back and mounting the new tire in the front of the box ahead of the axle, I doubt the height will change at all. Mine didn't.

I already removed the stock spare tire from underneath and placed the spare tire in the back (close to the cab where I am going to mount it) and the back is an inch lower than the front. What about 2500 HD springs. They would give me some lift (which I could adjust with different blocks) and I am sure sag would not be an issue when towing, though I do not tow much just an ATV trailer (would love to get a boat one day though!).

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals