GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 4x4 tranny question

let me start by saying hello and telling you guys {and gals} how helpful and educational this site is.especially to newbies like me!ok now for my question. i have a 84 4x4 silverado with a turbo 350 tranny thats shot.I was told today by a car guy that i could put a tranny out of a 2wd car or truck in my truck and all i had to do was cut a couple inches off the tail and buy an adapter plate and some studs and it would be just fine; 4wd an all.is this true?
    Last edited by roninbrad; 03-02-2010 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roninbrad View Post
    let me start by saying hello and telling you guys {and gals} how helpful and educational this site is.especially to noobies like me!ok now for my question. i have a 84 4x4 silverado with a turbo 350 tranny thats shot.I was told today by a car guy that i could put a tranny out of a 2wd car or truck in my truck and all i had to do was cut a couple inches off the tail and buy an adapter plate and some studs and it would be just fine; 4wd an all.is this true?

Sorry man, I can't help. I just read "tranny" and had to visit

I'm sure someone on here will be more mature and helpful than I was

I would think you need the tail housing from a 4x4 and the output shaft has to fit the transfer case...
    Still Loyal to GM after all these years...:shocked:
    2006 Impala LT 3.5L
    2005 Silverado WT small cab/longbed 4x4 4.3L V6
    1999 Grand Am 3.4L in TX w/ our youngest
    1993 GMC Jimmy 4.3L 4 door 4x4 'Ole Rusty' - 'SOLD'
    1988 S-10 small cab/longbed HT3.4L Crate Engine
    1970 Nova 250 I-6, factory 3 sp floor shifter.
    1968 Chevelle 'Nomad' Wagon 250 I-6 w/ 3 on da' tree.

let me start by saying hello and telling you guys {and gals} how helpful and educational this site is.especially to newbies like me!ok now for my question. i have a 84 4x4 silverado with a turbo 350 tranny thats shot.I was told today by a car guy that i could put a tranny out of a 2wd car or truck in my truck and all i had to do was cut a couple inches off the tail and buy an adapter plate and some studs and it would be just fine; 4wd an all.is this true?
    Yeea.... Uh... NO.... The guy that told you that is an idiot..... You'll need to find a 4WD Transmission......
    Joseph

Airforce Veteran (7 years)

NRA Life Member

Even if it were true why bother with that kind of hassel? A 700R can be gotten pretty cheap and it is a great 4wd tranny and it has over drive on top of it.
    Jeep Recovery Vehicle.

Yes you can do it. I have had to do it a few times because the lack of 4x4 trans.With the trans out and on the ground and the adapter that bolts between the trans and the t-case still on the trans measure amount of shaft sticking out out the adapter plate.Now with that measurement, take the adapter plate off the 4x4 trans and bolt to 2WD trans.The measurement you took from the shaft on the 4x4 trans that was sticking out is the amount of shaft you want sticking out of the 2WD trans.Thats it. It will look like theres not much shaft there but thats all that will slip into the t-case.Or you can take apart trans and switch the tail shafts and you wont have to cut at all.If your not into getting into the trans parts its the fastest way of getting it done and will work great..Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by jobie9231 View Post
    Yes you can do it. I have had to do it a few times because the lack of 4x4 trans.With the trans out and on the ground and the adapter that bolts between the trans and the t-case still on the trans measure amount of shaft sticking out out the adapter plate.Now with that measurement, take the adapter plate off the 4x4 trans and bolt to 2WD trans.The measurement you took from the shaft on the 4x4 trans that was sticking out is the amount of shaft you want sticking out of the 2WD trans.Thats it. It will look like theres not much shaft there but thats all that will slip into the t-case.Or you can take apart trans and switch the tail shafts and you wont have to cut at all.If your not into getting into the trans parts its the fastest way of getting it done and will work great..Good luck
    Do this method if you want to tear something up and have to replace more than just a transmission.......

Find a 4x4 trans or have yours rebuilt if you want to do it right and have it last.....
    Last edited by Joeairforce; 03-03-2010 at 04:43 PM.
    Joseph

NRA Life Member

what does putting the 700r in place of the turbo 350 consist of? as far as spedo cables ,linkage,etc. is it a straigt bolt on or what.that od would be nice going down the road.

what does putting the 700r in place of the turbo 350 consist of? as far as spedo cables ,linkage,etc. is it a straigt bolt on or what.that od would be nice going down the road.
    No, it would not be a straight bolt on process.... It's very doable though... It would require finding the trans, getting the rear drive-shaft shortened, front drive-shaft lengthened, moving the cross-member, getting a transfer case that fits the 700.....

Here's a link that describes how to do it on a 2WD...

http://transmissioncenter.net/700R4_Swap_Info.htm
    Joseph

NRA Life Member