GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Hummer H2 wheels on 2500HD truck?

Have been looking at different wheels for my 06 3/4 ton Silverado for about a year, and haven't seen anything that I like. The truck has the 16x6.5 forged aluminum wheels on it which limits the size tire I can put on them. I see that Hummers have a 17x8.5 wheel which is an acceptable style, and gives a much better wheel to mount larger tires, (wider & taller), than the stock 245-75x16 sneakers. So here is the question:
    Has anyone tried to use 8 lug H2 wheels on a GMT800 (99 - 07classic) 2500HD truck? If so, how was backspacing with the 2 inch wider wheel? Any other tire clearance issues?

Would appreciate any info and pics anyone might have. Thanks and may you all keep the shinny side up and the dirty side down

I don't know about the backspacing and such but i do know people have used them and they look good!

'04 Chevy 1500 Ext. Cab 4x4
    265/75-16 Sport King A/T

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

As long as you have enough room to fit them and the bolt pattern is the same, they will fit.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

go for it! But then give us pictures and let us know how it works.

'01 Chevrolet S10
    -custom air intake
    -painted dash
    -footwell lights
    -Strange Performance stickers
    -exhaust coming soon
    -Xplod Head Unit with iPod connectivity
    -12" Sony Xplod woofer
    -Majestic 400 watt amp, bridged

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
    :party:

Well after long consideration and research, I finally settled on a set of H2 wheels and Michelin 285 - 70 x 17's. As shown in the pics they are taller and thus slow the RPM's down on the highway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tire difference.jpg 
Views:	2432 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	19923I had the speedo recalibrated as there was a 7 mph difference, so now it reads correctly and I can calculate mpg acurately.

Name:	H2 wheels 1.jpg 
Views:	3407 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	19925While on the alignment machine I had the torsion bars cranked up 3 turns which leveled out the stance.

Name:	H2 wheels 2.jpg 
Views:	2181 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	19924 I also trimmed about a 1/4 inch off the edge of the lower valance for clearance.

I chose this wheel as, I feel, it provided the least amount of headaches in that the stock wheels were 6.5 inches with a 28mm offset and the H2 wheels are 8.5 inches with a 18mm offset.

Hope this helps others in their quest
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails H2 wheels 2 (Medium).jpg   Tire difference (Medium).jpg  

I like them, differant.

what are u going to do with ur stock rims? I am looking for replacements for mine. If u want to sell them let me know what condition they are in.

2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD:sign0011:
    6.0L Vortec
    Magnaflow 4" Dual Exhaust
    Leveling Kit
    Westin step bars
    Penda Skid Resistor bed liner
    dark blue metallic
    Bak Industries plastic bed rail caps
    Alpine 6 1/2" SPS-600 in front
    Alpine 6 1/2" SPG-17C2 in rear
    Bilstein HD Shocks front and rear
    Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs LT265/75/R16
    Access Lorado Roll-up soft tonneau cover

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman2004 View Post
    what are u going to do with ur stock rims? I am looking for replacements for mine. If u want to sell them let me know what condition they are in.
    Well, I was going to have them take up space in the garage until I got pi$$ off enough tripping over them to get rid of them, LOL. I did sell the tires to a buddy of mine, so they are ready to ship, and are in pretty good shape. Not new but no serious road rash or salt damage. But check on eBay. Do a search for Silverado 8 lug wheels OEM. That is where I got the H2 wheels. If I remember the 16x6.5 rims are around $75 to $100 plus shipping each. You might find some closer to you, but go for rims from the South or West.

If you don't find anything you like, get back to me via e-mail. Thank you for your interest.

9. Thanks mufflerguy thanked for this post

BlackMax200, Wondering how those taller wheels affected the low end torque and mileage of your Silverado? I am considering similar setup for my 2007 2500HD Classic W/T however I plow so I am concerned about the low end power due to taller wheels.

My guess is your mpg went up slightly...

snow4me, I didn't seem to realize a loss in pulling power. I tow a 8500lb boat and trailer combo and she does quite fine. Coming up out of the launch ramp, I sometimes use 4Hi to spread to torque load equally across the "U" joints. Hauling a ton of woodstove pellets is a piece of cake. Like it's not even in the bed. Ride is a little nicer with the weight.
    A friend has a 07 K2500 diesel that he plows with the H2 wheels and 285's. I'm not sure I would want to do the same combo with a gas truck. Diesels have the torque at low end that the gas does not, so they can do 3.73's instead of 4.10's.
    I will not plow snow with mine as it beats the truck up to much. My boss's 04 K3500 has gone through starters, transmissions, and front axle CV joints in 65k miles. Everything takes a severe beating. I have an older 90's F350 diesel with a 8ft Fisher to handle those chores.
    If you do plow snow with your combo, you may want a set of "winter" wheels and tires, and recalibrate for each swap.
    If I keep the cruise control set at no more than 68mph, I have gotten just under 16mpg highway. Around town about 11. The extra weight of the wheel over the forged 16's I think requires more gas pedal to get things rolling. The brakes however have about 60k miles on them, and still pass inspection.
    Hope this helps, enjoy your truck, I know I do mine