GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1500 View Post
    what do you mean by DD?
    DD = Daily Driver
    Adam

superchargers dont take time to spool but they do take away power from ur engine in the long run is wat i heard. turbos take time to spool. i would go with the turbo
    98 Chevy s10 4.3l v6 vortec 5speed, flowmaster exhaust, cold air intake, lowered 2 inch, limited slip, 235 horsepower and 315 torque

Quote Originally Posted by AJ 98 vortec View Post
    superchargers dont take time to spool but they do take away power from ur engine in the long run is wat i heard.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????

It is not an issue nor something to base a decision on. Especially from someone who "heard" something. Here is how I'll explain it.

I will just make up numbers for the sake of having them to work with.

Turbo-lets say 150rwhp
    SC- we'll also say 150rwhp

Now, if the end result is the exact same number, where is the arguement? Both get the same number but do it differently.

If I told you that I'd give you $220 but you had to give me $70, you'd still have $150 more than when you started.

Here is a good informational site on supercharger vs. turbo
    http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=19

My $.02 is that a supercharger is better for the truck. makes the hp from idle through. turbo has some lag time. the hp draw is a non factor ( you are still seeing a huge increase as stated by tymbom and others). In a drag race sense not much different as those with turbos spool while staging. I thought the article pasted above does a very good job explaining things. I would love to add a supercharger to my truck but once I mentioned the price the wife laughed at me and said not a chance:slap:. She says she already spent enough lifting my truck and that I was cut off for a while
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Blog Entries

I have always felt that turbos make a better daily driver because of the fact that they don't make all their power at idle...I have always been a fan of ridiculous power and pure excess, but now that I'm payin for gas I am starting to consider a little bit of economy too. The fact that a turbo takes a little while to spool up means that unless you are stepping on it, the turbo wont spool up very much...less spooling means less air being sucked in, which means less fuel being used. Thats just my opinion though, I have never owned a supercharged or turbocharged car or truck...I have just spent years reading 5.0 and Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords and drooling over my dream mustangs hahahah.

2003 Silverado, SOLD 1/11/11 for my... 2001 Ford Mustang Bullit, #1787

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiKid View Post
    I have always felt that turbos make a better daily driver because of the fact that they don't make all their power at idle....

That is a big misconception about ALL superchargers. That is what I'm trying to explain here. A centrifical supercharger, (Procharger), builds power in the same sort of rpm range as a turbo. The screw type blowers, (Maggies), hit hard out of the hole but drop off at high rpm. It is not as cut and dry as comparing turbo vs super because there are different types of superchargers.

Im just going to say supercharger because I have one!
    2000 Silverado Z71 Whipple Supercharger, JBA Headers,3" cat back Flowmaster Exhaust, Volant cai, Pioneer Preimer deck,Orion subwoofer,03 signal light mirrors,03 taililghts

Quote Originally Posted by zubbiez View Post
    Im just going to say supercharger because I have one!
    That's a good enough reason isn't it ;)

Quote Originally Posted by TYMBOM View Post
    That's a good enough reason isn't it ;)
    In my honest opinion absolutely!

either way you go, know how to drive it. please ! such a shame what these beautiful trucks go through when people run them into the ground