GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Turbo vs Supercharger?

what would be best for a truck? i hear superchargers can take some power off the engine and turbos just use free energy. my question is, what would you rather have?
    i have just always wondered about this one

Either one I would take. But if i were to spend the money I would get a turbo.

2003 Silverado LT

This is an age old debate. IMO, a centrifical supercharger is the best of both worlds, ie, an ATI Procharger. Yes, superchargers do take some power to operate but it is nothing compared to the gains. For instance, if you just added a blower and got a 150rwhp gain, that's all that matters, who cares if it took 60 or so in the process, you still got 150!!!!!!!!!!

So, in my first hand opinion, a supercharger is the way to go. Here's my proof

I agree with TYMBOM. Supercharger is the way to go because it is instintanious power. You step on the throttle and you are gone. A turbo uses "free energy" by using the exhaust gases that your engine already produces to spool up the turbine to provide the forced air. the problem with this though is that to get a turbo big enough to really do anythng for you V-8 truck it takes some time to spool that thing up this is called "boost lag." The fact that the supercharger is belt driven means that it spools up with your engine revving.

They both have their ups and downs. You can get more psi and boost from a turbo but you have to wait for it and you have to get modified exhaust manifolds to get the turbo set up. The ones that attach to your talipipe are pretty useless in my opinion if you are going to spend that kind of money get a supercharger that is made for your truck and bolts right on.

Just my Opinion. Dont want to start a Turbo Vs. Supercharger War. I have owned both and installed both. Turbo was better for the 4 banger import that is meant to revv higher.
    Last edited by Gambit; 03-04-2010 at 06:22 AM.
    Jeep Recovery Vehicle.

I have one truck running a turbo and one truck running a supercharger and a boat that has used both, the boat originally had a turbo but I changed it over due to reasons previously mentioned.
    A supercharger creates HP from idle to the top of the RPM scale, a turbo starts higher in the RPM band depending on how its set-up, but it will never pull HP from idle on, it cant be set-up that way.
    The real decision between a Supercharger and a Turbo is what your planning on using the truck for, both methods of forced induction make lots of useable power, but in different RPM ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    both methods of forced induction make lots of useable power, but in different RPM ranges.

To a certain extent. A centrifical supercharger will continue to make power into high rpm like a turbo. That is why I chose a Procharger. Other types like twin screw blowers are instant power but do drop off in high rpm.
    Last edited by TYMBOM; 03-04-2010 at 11:02 AM.

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

i would choose a supercharger because they make instant power and you dont have to wait on it like a turbo and in my opinion, superchargers are easier to install. And plus they make more low end.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado Junkie View Post
    i would choose a supercharger because they make instant power and you dont have to wait on it like a turbo and in my opinion, superchargers are easier to install. And plus they make more low end.

Twin screws are def easier to install. Once you get into custom setups they are all a PITA, lol.

Sr. Engineer

We have superchargers on 3 of our vehicles, love them! Perfect for a DD, and can make some serious power at the track
    Black Bear Performance- Custom Tuning Solutions

Authorized EFILive and MAGNACHARGER seller