GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Tire selection....

Hey Guys, new to the forum. I just bought a 1999 Silverado 2500 and I would like to put some beefier tires on it. I would really like to run 285/75/16's but I keep hearing conflicting suggestions. I am including a pic of my truck just to show what I'm working with.

My wife gets great deals on Dick Cepek and Maxxis tires through where she works, so I was looking at the DC mud country's or the Maxxis Bighorns...

I read a couple places that you just cant put 285's on but then I talk to my buddy who owns a garage and he says they've put 285's on a TON of silverado's without lifts and he's only had a rubbing issue once...

Thanx for any help guys!

I would LOVE some 35's but I got a bad feeling I'd need to do too much to fit them....

I think you'd be able to run 285's with a heavyduty, and your right to fit 35's you gonna need a six inch lift! Someone will be able to give you a better answer than me so good luck and post some more pics after the change!!
    If you find yourself slipping,.....tie a knot.....hold on tight

Black
    2008 silverado
    1500 crew cab
    5.3 L 4x4
    Borla exhaust, rbp black tip
    tint, bed liner
    2.25 in ready lift leveling kit
    18x9 rbp 94r
    33x12.5x18 toyo mts

Thanx Shorty.... BTW, you have an AWESOME looking truck!

I have a 2500 as you do and you are right that the stock 245-75x16's look horrible in the wheel wells. I have been doing research on this subject.
    The 285's should fit fine, BUT you should replace the wheels. The stockers are 6.5 wide and the 285's really should have an 8 inch wide wheel.
    So if you go in that direction, be careful of the backspacing on the wheels you get. That measurement will center the tire in the center of the
    maximum steering clearance within the front wheel wells.
    The nice thing is that the 2500 has a taller frame than a 1500, so there is more clearance to play with.
    Hope this helps, and let us know how you make out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty 71 View Post
    I think you'd be able to run 285's with a heavyduty, and your right to fit 35's you gonna need a six inch lift! Someone will be able to give you a better answer than me so good luck and post some more pics after the change!!

Here you go... im riding 285/75/16s and this is a 1500 with nothing done to it that i know, Maybe a leveling kit. But it looks good and i like it. U probably already bought ur tires so this might not be of use now but for future people here u go

I think you should be fine since you have a 2500, but you are right on the 35's. I put 35's on my 1500 with a 6 inch lift and still rubbed (I only went with 5 inch backspacing), so had to go up another inch and a half to keep from rubbing.

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    6" Suspension Lift and 1.5" Body Lift
    20x9 Ballistic Jesters w/35" Toyo Open Country MT's & 1.5" rear wheel spacers
    4:56 Yukon Gears
    Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator
    Baja style bed mount spare tire carrier
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals
    Tint, Line-X bedliner, Window visors, Rear wheel well liners
    Painted front grill, bow ties and door badges, de-"lettered" tailgate
    Powder coated front and rear bumpers

I just put Kumho 285 75 R16's on my 94 Silverado with no problem. Very happy with them.

Default 35s

there is a guy on here running 315/75/16 with just a rough country leveling kit, and he is a 1500. those are roughly 34.6 inches. I think what width and offset rim you run makes just as big a difference as what size tire, as he is running stock rims. He said he had to do just a little trimming. I will note, however, that is an extremely wide tire for such a small rim