GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default '78 Suburban 2500 Headlights not working

For some reason when I pull the switch to turn my front light on the rear lights and the signal lights on the front of the truck turn on, but the headlights do not. I have looked at all of the fuses and they look fine. I have looked at both headlights and they are fine.

Am I missing something here?

Can the headlight switch be broken. The first click of the pull all of the outside lights come on but the headlights. The second click is the headlights but nothing happens.

Thank you,

Sara Mae

The switch could be worn out. You might try disconnecting the harness at the back of the switch and jumping across the connectors. If nothing else this will eliminate the switch from the equation.

Here are some photos. I did notice this--the photos posted below. I changed out the floor switch because it seemed to be an issue on the floor. Prior to the floor switch going compeltely out I had to tap it ion order for the lights to go on. Could this piece be the issue? It is obviously fried.

*UPDATE* Schucks did not have the "housing" so I just purchaseed some individual pieces to hook the wires back up to the switch. It did not work. Still nothing. Tomorrow I am going to replace the switch to see if that might be the issue.

Last edited by Sara_Mae; 03-07-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Something shorted that connector, the switch could have done that if it overheated or grounded itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Something shorted that connector, the switch could have done that if it overheated or grounded itself out.
    That would or could blow a fuse, right? I checked to see if there were any blown fuse's and I didn't see any. Maybe I should look again to see.

If this is what caused the problem where would I check once I get pass the fuses, through the firewall and under the hood?

Should blow a fuse, but I never count on that happening like it's supposed to.
    Since the connector was fried I think the problem is either in the switch or the harness going through the firewall.
    If you've got a meter you can test the wires to make sure power is getting to the switch. A simple lighted probe will tell you that much also.
    With the age of your truck I wouldnt be surprised if there wasnt a short on the firewall or near the headlights, look around the firewall first though thats where it'll chafe the most.
    That plug could've also been loose and intermitant contact caused it to burn, the wires on it probably arent making good contact either.
    Those old systems didnt always use relays, sometimes they sent full power from the fuse box to the switch then to the lights.
    If ya gotta rewire (even if ya dont) you might think of using a relay between the battery and the lights, this'll make the lights brighter by eliminating voltage drop and have power running a shorter distance.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Should blow a fuse, but I never count on that happening like it's supposed to.
    Since the connector was fried I think the problem is either in the switch or the harness going through the firewall.
    If you've got a meter you can test the wires to make sure power is getting to the switch. A simple lighted probe will tell you that much also.
    With the age of your truck I wouldnt be surprised if there wasnt a short on the firewall or near the headlights, look around the firewall first though thats where it'll chafe the most.
    That plug could've also been loose and intermitant contact caused it to burn, the wires on it probably arent making good contact either.
    Those old systems didnt always use relays, sometimes they sent full power from the fuse box to the switch then to the lights.
    If ya gotta rewire (even if ya dont) you might think of using a relay between the battery and the lights, this'll make the lights brighter by eliminating voltage drop and have power running a shorter distance.
    It was the swtich. I replaced the light switch and the headlights are coming on now. I think it might have blown out the headlight part of the switch when the "brights" switch on the floor fried....or the other way around.

Problem fixed. Thank you gentlemen for your help.

Next I have to replace the alternator on my '89 Honda Accord this one is going to be lots of fun. I have had issues with both vehicles all at the same time...what are the odds.