GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Sr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Bend, IN
    Posts
    43

    Default replacing stock door speakers

    I have an 03 silverado extended cab with stock door speakers. My truck doesnt have the Bose upgrade. I havent taken my door panels off because I'm afraid of breaking the clips. There are a lot of sizes of speakers and I cant find a specific size for replacements. Can anyone tell me what I need? Thanks
    '03 Silverado Z71 4x4 LS
    Extended Cab
    5.3L Vortec
    Spectre CAI
    Dual Exhaust with Flowmaster Muffler
    Aesthetics:
    -Ventshades
    -Footwell lights (red)
    -Double Din JVC 7" touch screen headunit
    2 12" Pioneer Premiere Shallow Subs
    2000W amp with 2 farad capacitor

  2. #2
    Legend Mean_Green_95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
    Posts
    1,170

    Default

    You need a 6.5 for the front doors. You will need 4x6's for the rears. It's really easy to take the doors off, much easier than previous models.

    Just remove the window and lock controls, remove the sliding lock piece, remove the door handle trim, pop out the accent light, remove the plastic triangle piece coving the mirror bolts, remove the 2 7mm bolts, and then pull up on the whole panel and disconnect the tweeter wires and out it is.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

    1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

  3. #3
    Sr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Bend, IN
    Posts
    43

    Default

    what about tweeter size? im really clueless to all the stock sizes.
    '03 Silverado Z71 4x4 LS
    Extended Cab
    5.3L Vortec
    Spectre CAI
    Dual Exhaust with Flowmaster Muffler
    Aesthetics:
    -Ventshades
    -Footwell lights (red)
    -Double Din JVC 7" touch screen headunit
    2 12" Pioneer Premiere Shallow Subs
    2000W amp with 2 farad capacitor

  4. #4
    Legend Mean_Green_95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
    Posts
    1,170

    Default

    I'm to sure on those. I just left the ones in my door stock and put new ones on the A-pillars.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

    1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

  5. #5
    Legend

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Red Wing, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    3,356

    Default

    the tweeters wont really matter on the size, if you get aftermarket tweets they will come with a housing for mounting them in a couple different ways and they will fit no matter what the factory size is, but just get 1 inch tweeters, as for replacing the rear 4x6 go with 4 inch round speakers. Any size speaker that is a _x_ is worthless, they are a dying breed of speakers as far as aftermarket companies are concerned, they really put there best stuff in the round speakers now
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16
    ___________________________
    Jason

  6. #6
    Master Mechanic HawaiiKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    537
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    the tweeters wont really matter on the size, if you get aftermarket tweets they will come with a housing for mounting them in a couple different ways and they will fit no matter what the factory size is, but just get 1 inch tweeters, as for replacing the rear 4x6 go with 4 inch round speakers. Any size speaker that is a _x_ is worthless, they are a dying breed of speakers as far as aftermarket companies are concerned, they really put there best stuff in the round speakers now
    Gotta disagree with the "x" speakers. I put Alpine type-S speakers in the back doors, and they are 4x6 speakers...quality sound, even if they don't have the bass that 6x9s do.

    2003 Silverado, SOLD 1/11/11 for my... 2001 Ford Mustang Bullit, #1787

  7. #7
    Sr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Bend, IN
    Posts
    43

    Thumbs up

    Thanks for your all your help. You guys have saved me a real big headache.
    '03 Silverado Z71 4x4 LS
    Extended Cab
    5.3L Vortec
    Spectre CAI
    Dual Exhaust with Flowmaster Muffler
    Aesthetics:
    -Ventshades
    -Footwell lights (red)
    -Double Din JVC 7" touch screen headunit
    2 12" Pioneer Premiere Shallow Subs
    2000W amp with 2 farad capacitor

  8. #8

    Default

    Why bother. Best Buy can pop in some sweet Alpine or Infinity speakers for a few bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean_Green_95 View Post
    You need a 6.5 for the front doors. You will need 4x6's for the rears. It's really easy to take the doors off, much easier than previous models.

    Just remove the window and lock controls, remove the sliding lock piece, remove the door handle trim, pop out the accent light, remove the plastic triangle piece coving the mirror bolts, remove the 2 7mm bolts, and then pull up on the whole panel and disconnect the tweeter wires and out it is.

  9. #9

    Default

    I highly recommend a trip to Best Buy. They do great work from what I have read of their reviews. 20 something college kid that has put in 100's of speakers and probably has had a best buy class on installation. Let a pro do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by chvy411 View Post
    I have an 03 silverado extended cab with stock door speakers. My truck doesnt have the Bose upgrade. I havent taken my door panels off because I'm afraid of breaking the clips. There are a lot of sizes of speakers and I cant find a specific size for replacements. Can anyone tell me what I need? Thanks

  10. #10
    Legend Mean_Green_95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
    Posts
    1,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1flyfisher View Post
    Why bother. Best Buy can pop in some sweet Alpine or Infinity speakers for a few bucks.
    You don't need to be a pro to get these door panels off. My fiancée would have been able to take all the panels off if it weren't for the snap retainers. Plus, some people might not like/want/have the money for Alpines or Infinities.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

    1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Best Speakers To Replace Stock Speakers?
    By MentalMike in forum Audio, Video & Gadget Tech
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-02-2010, 07:20 PM
  2. WTB stock speakers
    By 00silverado in forum Audio & Video Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2010, 10:21 PM
  3. Replacing Stock Speakers
    By MBurke in forum Audio, Video & Gadget Tech
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 03:43 PM
  4. replacing rear speakers in 08 silverado
    By 58apache in forum Audio, Video & Gadget Tech
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 07:35 PM
  5. replacing front door speakers,
    By redkaz04 in forum Audio, Video & Gadget Tech
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 05:41 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •