GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chevy and gmc

Default chevy and gmc

I was hanging out with a few friends from school, and they got into
    the topic of trucks. They were talking about my truck compared to other trucks.
    That's when the disagreement started about Chevy trucks and gmc trucks. now tell me,
    are Chevy trucks and gmc trucks the same?

exactly the same....only difference is interior a little bit and of course the front gril and lights and stuff like that other than that its the same truck
    2004 chevy silverado "northwest edition" lifted on 35's

1990 cherokee lifted on 32's

thank you.. they insisted that they were very different...

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

Both built by the same company, GM... Sierras are Silverados, Yukons are Tahoes, Canyons are Colorodos, Envoys are Trail Blazers...

Same with cars... Chevy and Pontiac are basically the same as well...

Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

GM has platforms that they build on. The current version of the Silverado and Sierra are called the GMT900 platform, which was unveiled to the public in 2007 and went on sale in 2007 with the Chevy Silverado NBS (new body style).

New vehicle development helps to drive sales, so car companies have even gotten rid of brands to drive attention to new names and then when the brand comes back (ie. Camaro) it can help re-ignight interest in that new vehicle. The current platform, the GMT900, shares parts all across the entire line. That is the development and assembly of the Silverado will share some technology with the Avalanche, the Hummer H2 and the Suburban.

Wikipedia has a good chart to look at on this subject. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMT900

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Same basic truck, GM has always been a little more expensive and a little fancier on the interior.

WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After u get over the 1500 ,,the frame is diffrent . The 2500 GMC uses the frame from a 1 ton and the chevy has his own 2500 frame !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other then that the interior, and decals.

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After u get over the 1500 ,,the frame is diffrent . The 2500 GMC uses the frame from a 1 ton and the chevy has his own 2500 frame !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other then that the interior, and decals.
    Thats not entirely true, I've seen GMC 2500's using the 1 ton frame and the 3/4 ton frame in likle years and models. Dont know why they might have used 2 different frames for the GMC 2500's but they did.
    My aunt was a GM Quality Inspector for many years at the Arlington, Tx truck plant and she verified for me that GM used 2 different rated frames on the 2500 series trucks. I dont know other than looking at the frames if theres any other way to tell which one you got.

Jr. Mechanic

I was under the assumption that the cabs were the same but, the boxes and fenders were differant also.???????
    2013 Sierra Crew Cab.
    Bob.

Legend
    Blog Entries

When we stamp the parts off of the presses, they all have the same part # but they are shipped to two different locations. Some of the parts go to Salou, and the other parts go to Arlington and some to Michigan. We used to make the Cobalt and G5 at Lordstown, and that car is the same thing but the badging and a few interior options and a different badging.

GMC truck guys will always say there truck is better than a Chevrolet, I have had that argument many times over many drinks at the bar after work. Just remember one thing no matter which one you buy it still goes in one piggy bank, so it doesn't really matter.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast