GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Intake/Exhaust/Programming

Hello,

Yes I know these questions have been beaten to death, but it seems I can't find a solid answer to my questions. I've been searching the forums for a few days now. I have a 1999 Sierra 2500HD with a 6.0 in it. The exhaust has a little crimp/bend in it from backing up into a cement barrier. I am planning on getting it fixed, and I thought now might be the time to upgrade from the stock exhaust to something better since I'll be under there anyway.

Right now the stock setup has the dual pipes going into a single inlet on a muffler with a single out going out behind the rear tire. Will replacing just the muffle, with something like a flowmaster 40 or 44, and the pipe back give me any performance boost or mpg increase? Is there any real puprose to a true dual exhaust if I were to go that way, or a single in/dual out muffler?

Also, i was looking into a Volant CAI, and read someones post on here that it won't inrease mpg unless i get the ecu reprogrammed. Is that true? My plan for now was to get the exhuast upgraded and Volant CAI installed. Will that be any benefit or do I have to get it reprogrammed as well. Or would this setup without the tuning lower my mpg?

FYI - Right now I'm averaging 15 mpg and it mainly stays on the highway 90% of the time to and from work.

Thanks ahead for any input.

Just replacing the muffler will help your truck, but the most power gains on most vehicles are found with a dual exhaust.

'01 Chevrolet S10
    -custom air intake
    -painted dash
    -footwell lights
    -Strange Performance stickers
    -exhaust coming soon
    -Xplod Head Unit with iPod connectivity
    -12" Sony Xplod woofer
    -Majestic 400 watt amp, bridged

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
    :party:

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    Just replacing the muffler will help your truck, but the most power gains on most vehicles are found with a dual exhaust.

You should know better than that. Single or dual on a stock vehicle(no major mods) is only for looks. Any good aftermarket exhaust, single or dual, will have gains.

I have said it before and will again, I still have a single exhaust and am just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TYMBOM View Post
    You should know better than that. Single or dual on a stock vehicle(no major mods) is only for looks. Any good aftermarket exhaust, single or dual, will have gains.

I have said it before and will again, I still have a single exhaust and am just fine.
    True, I don't think that the dual is worth the money if all you are looking for is power gains.

well power and mpg are different sides of the spectrum lol cant gain mpg and gain performance unless your gonna get a diesel. but if you want to just replace the muffler it will flow better and you might get a little mpg out of it. But if you go the full exhaust it wil have an effect on your mpgs. if you get a tuner that will help your mpgs. but if you want it you gotta get it all or go home lol.
    1997 K1500 Silverado 4X4. Black Exterior, grey/black interior. 35X12.50X15 wheels and rubber, ProComp 6inch lift 6 shocks in the front 2 in the rear, 3 inch body lift, a few cosmetic mods. Nothing major. Custom leather interior, and stereo upgrade is the future mods.

Sr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by TYMBOM View Post

X2, I have seen many a vehicle actually lose torque due to the configuration.
    Black Bear Performance- Custom Tuning Solutions

Authorized EFILive and MAGNACHARGER seller

Thanks for all the input, I'll let you guys know what I do. Thanks.

Shoot, I was wrong. Sorry guys, I won't make the same mistake again.