GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: 350 or turbo

Default 350 or turbo

i have a s10 with a 4.3 liter v6 vortec. it has 147xxx miles on it and my friends are telling me to make it a cyclone[4.3 wit a turbo] but i wanted to drop a 350 in it and just bolt up the tranny i have and just get new motor mounts and do the rest of the work.

wats your opion?
    98 Chevy s10 4.3l v6 vortec 5speed, flowmaster exhaust, cold air intake, lowered 2 inch, limited slip, 235 horsepower and 315 torque

I like the idea of the 350 in it, but I dont really know anything about the v6 turbo to advise which one is better.

1987 Chevy Suburban
    5.7 350 with Edelbrock Cam and Intake
    32x11.5x15 tires
    True Dual Series 40 Flowmaster exhaust
    Long Tube Headers

a turbo'd be alot more original i think especially being as they didnt have syclones in the 2nd gen body style ( they did but wernt turbo) a 350'd be alot less work and doesnt have to be tuned etc like a turbo, so original go turbo like most everyone else 350 not sayin 350's are bad they rip s**t but thats kinda why everyone has one syclone = original still risp s**t as much if not more than a basic 350 and is alot more original but also alot more work

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Put a 350 in it. A modified 350 will have way more low end than a turbo'd v6 and theres more horsepower potential in a 350 than in a v6.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

There is no replacement for displacement. Throw a turbo on a v6 it may be faster than a stock v8 but throw the same set up on a v8 and get even more power. THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.
    Jeep Recovery Vehicle.

I would put in the 350 and then get a supercharger.....turbo lag is the main reasoning for that opinion.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Legend

Just understand that the Cyclone/Typhoon is not just a stock 4.3 with a turbo and intercooler thrown on it. To get the power they had to heavily modify the internals and tranny. That 4.3 was a crazy motor and was built with the duribility to run it 24 hrs on a track that took a couple of records if memeory serves right. Dropping a V8 is much easier, there are so many places that make kits specifically for that swap into an S-10, not to mention you can get your hands on a V8 WAAAAY cheaper then a full build and turbo. It will be easier to tune as well, where as a turbo you would need a dyno and some computer work done.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

my budy in highschool some how shoehorned a 454 into an 88 s-10. he put a possie rear end in that thing. I dont know how he did it but that truck was scary fast.
    89 5.7 stepside 2wd silverado
    09 5.3 Z71 Silverado

350 for sure,
    Its alot of work,but boy they are fun to drive.

95 tahoe 2dr 4x4 200,000+ miles

I kno that the syclones/ typhoons were highly modified and built up it doesnt necessarily mean that the V8's better if ur lookin for mpg's i'dthink a turbo'd be a way to go and a friend built a turbo 4 cyl dakota and he regularily beats 5.9r/t's with 10 pounds of boost whichi'd think a 4.3 would be able to handle not exactly sure tho cuza the splayed crank gonna be puttin a turbo on 4.3this summer we'll see how she goes i kno the v8's gonna be easier and way less work and $$$ , i like the idea of v8 s10's i just like turbo 4.3's better lol up to you in the end how much time money and work u wanna put in and what u want it for
    Last edited by 2000 silvy; 03-17-2010 at 12:44 AM.