GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Rear bumper spare tire mount

If this is an old topic, sorry. I didn't see anything in the "search".

I've got Dutch Doors and would sure like a good, dependable, greaseable, not noisy rear bumper that has a spare tire carrier on it. Am I asking too much? I haven't found anything for my dinosaur (1998) on the net.

Help.
    1998 K-2500 Suburban
    454 w/ 4L80E
    Suspension Maxx T-Bar Keys Gibson Cat Back K&N Intake
    Mag-Hytec trans pan and diff cover Hypertech Programmer
    MSD 6A, Blaster Coil & Wires Roadmaster Active Suspension
    Hummer H2 wheels w/ BFG All Terrrain T/A KO

Legend

Might be cheaper if you know someone that can weld to just make one and paint it
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    Might be cheaper if you know someone that can weld to just make one and paint it
    X-2
    Joseph

Airforce Veteran (7 years)

NRA Life Member

No arguement there, but if I'm re-inventing the wheel and have to engineer it the time and cost may go up.

So no one knows of an off the shelf bumper?

I don't have the answer your lookin 4, but u might have the answer i need .did the k&n air sys. And the cat back, increase your gas mileage? What mileage do u get right now with your 454?,,,if u don't mind answering this 4 me ,,,,,thanks ,,,terry

Hey WeeeeeBob,

Welcome to the forum, nice to see your first post is an attempted hijack.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes I saw some improvement, but I am driving a 3/4 ton, big block, four wheel drive with 4.11s so I never expected much. I have a Hypertech in addition to the CAI, cat back, and MSD (wires, 6A, and coil).

And now, back to my request: I need a bumper to hold my spare tire so I can have more interior room and show off my sweet matching H2 wheel and tire.

Personally I've never seen an aftermarket bumper that holds a spare tire for a Suburban...... Just the spare tire mounts that bolt to the back door.....

Legend

You could just get one of those safari racks and mount it on top of the truck.

I have four Yakima cross bars attached to the stock roof rack and have had practically everything on the roof, but not the spare tire. I wouldn't trust it, and don't want to go up after it. Or let it down.

And I don't think there is enough meat in the door hinges to support a stock spare wheel and tire, let alone a larger non-stock size.

Come on people, I'm circling the drain...

Legend

Not on the door, if you go to extreme4x4 they made one for a.....i forget but they didnt mount it to the door of the truck, they used the bumper and the body and then just a quick release pin to open it, but 95% of the weight went to the bumper. What you could do is drill a hole at each end of the bumper on the top side, then drill a hole about 6 inches out from each side of the license plate. you could have a frame welded up out of some 3/4 inch tubing in a large hoop that goes from each of the top side wholes, then two supports coming from the front side of the bumper and the just make a carrier within that frame. the two fron holes would just need anchors that would allow the assembly to swung from an upright position down toward the ground and the two holes on top of the bumper would merely be for locking the assembly in place. this would put all the weight from the tire and assembly to the bumper, thus transfering the weight to the frame. if i could draw this up i would, in my head its super simple, if I could weld i would do it for ya.

Maybe tomorrow in my free time i will take a pic of my back bumper and try some things and see if I can show you what i just typed

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by