GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Thanks Jason.

I saw exactly what I'm looking for on a like year Blazer tonight, but I was in the left hand turn bay and he was going straight two lanes over. I couldn't get out/over to him to ask for details. I had seen him coming up and had noticed his pre-runner front bumper (tubular) and then when he pulled past and I saw the spare on his full custom rear bumper. I knew I was being teased.

Who makes this type bumper??????????????????????
    1998 K-2500 Suburban
    454 w/ 4L80E
    Suspension Maxx T-Bar Keys Gibson Cat Back K&N Intake
    Mag-Hytec trans pan and diff cover Hypertech Programmer
    MSD 6A, Blaster Coil & Wires Roadmaster Active Suspension
    Hummer H2 wheels w/ BFG All Terrrain T/A KO

You might talk to this guy and see where he got his...... or what his is......

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1&postcount=45
    Joseph

Airforce Veteran (7 years)

NRA Life Member

Ebay: Bumper tire carrier,, there are a few on there that u can adapt to ur truck

Joe,

Thanks for the suggestion. I sent him a message.

WeeBob,

Thank you too for the suggestion. I found one seller that may be a fabricator and asked him what he has. And he is in the next town. Getting closer.

I saw the Blazer again tonight, actually a Tahoe. We are never going the same direction, and both times I have been in a hurry. Oh well.....

I have seen custom-built bumpers similar to what you are looking for. I think stock hummers have the type of bumper you're looking for, but backwards. The hummer tire-swing bumpers swing open to the right, and on a barn-door suburban, it would be more ideal to have it swing to the left since the right door always has to be opened first and more often. I'll see what I can scrape up, but regardless of ideas we have for you, you will probably have to custom-build it yourself. Good luck!

EDIT: Here's a link for one build thread I found with a quick search, still looking for others. Granted, like I previously said, it swings to the right, which would be less than optimal for 'burbs, but it can easily be mirrored to a left-hand swing:
    http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...ng+tire+bumper
    Last edited by Crawdaddy; 03-19-2010 at 08:54 AM.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Thanks Crawdaddy.

Long read but worth it. The Bronco guy is quite a fabricator. When I saw the Bob Rice Ford sticker on the back (old Ford dealer here) I thought the owner was local, but no luck. Arizona. Oh well.

Yeah, that forum is my "other life". (yes, I do cheat on ya'll a'la Tiger Woods ) It has tons of master fabricators on it that really care about trucks and Broncos in specific. One of these days I'm going to build 2 bumpers similar to that, one for the Bronco, and possibly one for the Suburban.

And this is more or less what I'm talking about that's available on Hummers, but I swear I saw one that looked factory!

Crawdaddy,

I think you are correct about there being a Hummer factory option for that style spare tire carrier.

And don't worry about cheating on us, I do too. 2005 Excursion with the 6.0 and a five inch all spring lift. And like Tiger, I love them both.

Cheaters!!!!

Default hey

X, in my opinion this is what I would do. Make a bracket out of tubing, put it on hindges with a lock set up just like on a hitch, that way you can lower it to open the door. I can make a rough sketch or two of the idea but youd have to measure it and what not. then all youd have to do is mount it to youre bumper or just make something that will go into youre hitch reciever.
    2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 323 5.3L V8
    -K&N 57 Series Generation II - Cold Air Intake
    -JVC Deck - KD-HDR50

-New Transmission
    -New Rear End
    -New Alternator, Battery and Starter
    -Key-less Entry (Thanks aboston)
    -Bed Liner w/mat

-
    Blue Xenon Headlight
    Bulbs (High/Low)

Other Toys