GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2004 Silverado AC only blows on high

When I turn on the AC or the heat in my truck, it only works if I put the dial on the '5' setting out of '0-5'. I think its a bad switch or something, but I don't know how I would go about repairing it
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Legend

Its not the switch it the blower motor resistor, they tend to go out. easy fix and only 20 bucks or so for a new resistor.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

I definitely am having the same problem in my 2004 silverado 1500 4x4. The heat/ac fan has gradually stopped working on the 1-4 levels and now only operates on full blast #5. I need to fix it soon.

Where is the blower motor resister located? I do not have a repair manual for this vehicle yet.

Its located in the passenger footwell underneath the glovebox. 2 screws hold the resistor in place hen unplug the harness from the unit.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Legend

when you look in the footwell the actual blower motor is behind the plastic shield that has a round shape to it. there will be a twisted bundle of wires coming off it, they lead to the resistor, the resistor is actually bigger then you would think and it looks like those childs play deals that you slide the beads over, up down and coiled, every doctors/dentist office seems to have it (best way I know to describe it). Unclip the wire brackets and two screws and its out.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

mine doesnt work on the "5" setting. My wifes TB quit working last summer, and I replaced it. Her TB is an 02 and it is a really easy fix. 15 -20 minutes and it is done.

Tim
    2003 Silverado 1500 5.3L Ext. Cab. Stepside.
    Pretty much factory for right now.:grrrrrr:

Tim

Default Reistor

The late model resistors are solid state. Module more than likley bad and they often burn the connector

Thanks for the help guys . I was able to locate my resister easily thanks to y'all. The card itself had visible burn damage on it. I did have some trouble getting the right replacement from the parts store. One store only had a model for vehicles without the "floor console", so the part wasn't even mountable.

Two part stores later, I found the right one and got it mounted in and it completely fixed my problem. Now I have functioning AC/Heat!!