GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Cutting the Catalytic Converter

I'm hoping someone has some insight on Catalytic Converters for me. I am looking to cut open that Cat along the welded seam and pry it open and flush out the Cats will it turn on any OBD codes? My dad has a 2500 Duramax that he did it to but no codes for him wondering if it would be the same? Thanks.
    2005 Silverado 1500 5.3L 4x4
    285/70/17 Firestone Destination MT's
    17" Pro Comp Extreme Wheels
    2" ReadyLift Leveling Kit
    Blacked Out Grill and Front and Rear Bumpers (Painted By Me)
    PreRunner Light Bar (Removed) New Fabricated Bumper (coming soon)
    WeatherGuard Tool Box (Painted Also)

I did this on my truck . it will throw a o2 sensor code and your service engine light will come on . You will have to put cats back on it and drive through the drive cycle before it will pass emissions this will usually take a couple hundred miles to do . My advice would be to buy another set of cats and a y pipe to swap out for emissions . Kinda expensive but it will save you a lot of time cutting and welding new cats on every year
    [/SIGPIC]2001 gmc 1500 ex cab,3" body lift,3" leveling kit,315/75/16 hancook dynapro mt's, punched cats, custom flowmaster exhaust, k&n with custom intake,camo kit, Dual trumpet air horns,Siren, Custom camo interior LIFT IT FAT GIRLS CANT JUMP

What you can do, is take a reciprocating saw, make CLEAN cuts to cut off the cats. And then unbolt the pipe from the manifolds, and weld on flanges to each end, so that you can unbolt your cats, and take them off. And then do the same to a piece of pipe. So you can bolt and unbolt. Instead of cutting and welding. Welding is a pain in the arse if you don't unbolt the pipe from the manifolds. I know, because my exhaust has a crap load of leaks.

I also have my cats cut off. My 02 sensors are very dirty, so my truck doesn't have the code on all the time. It just decides when it wants it on or not.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Go and look up oxygen sensor spacers. I have made them out of spark plug anti foulers, and used ready made ones. You can use them on the rear o2 sensors when you have a bad cat or no cat and avoid p0420 codes. This is the item number of one on ebay 140355455139
    Western Massachusetts
    2004 Silverado 1500 5.3 4x4
    Corsa exhaust
    A few VW's

they make ho2 eleminators for that. it basically has resistors inside to send a good signal back to the pcm. their pretty cheap too
    GM TECH

05 silverado shortbed

Now what about removing the muffler on the truck? Will that increase the sound of the exhaust? Thanks again guys or gals.

Legend
    Blog Entries

removing the muffler will make it uhhhh quite loud.... I dont know what year you have.. I know that in my 02 chevy with the 5.3 i could set off car alarms in a parking lot very easly.. And on my 88 it wasnt as bad but still loud... I wouldnt do it id just put your choice of performace muffler in if you want some more sound.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Loggerhead Mike View Post
    they make ho2 eleminators for that. it basically has resistors inside to send a good signal back to the pcm. their pretty cheap too
    Where can I find these at?
    1998 silverado 1500 4x4 - 5.7L vortec
    Bed rails, step bars, bedliner, 18% tint, flowmaster 44 muffler, 16x8 M/T Classic II wheels, 265/75-16 goodyear wrangler duratracs

Blog Entries

Heck with cutting the cats, just take a hammer handle and beat the ceramic out of it. I just cut mine out and put a strait pipe. Your check engine light will come on because it will think the cat is not cleaning the exhaust. As far as performance I barely noticed a difference,only on the top end, but it sure sounded a lot better. I am running no cats with 30 series flowmasters and a crossover pipe, It is prety loud.
    "If I were lie'n I'd be cry'n and I aint shed a tear"

Yeah defintaly dont want to mess with emissions had an 02 Grand Prix GT grinded down the seem of the Cat. where it was welded pryed open that Cat. and smashed up the ceramic inside and sucked it out with a wet/dry vac and welded it closed. Unfortunately about 3 months later emissions came and well had to spend a 100 for new a Cat. and go back.

But easier said then done I will prolly just buy my buddies wireless exhaust cutout off his 07 TB SS since it sticks half open on him he's getting rid of it for half price so thats my easy way out.

Thanks again guys for the much informative opinions and thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by