GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Summer Engine Mods

So, this summer, i'm bumping up from bolt on engine parts, to internal engine parts, and performance mods. I'm looking at doing a cam shaft, and roller rockers, springs, lifters, and some bolt on parts, long tube headers, gear my differentials to 4.10 or 4.56, and a custom tune'd computer, for all the modifications. I just have a few questions, i do a bit of highway driving, i do around 60km or more of highway when i go somewhere with my truck. So i can't have that crazy of a cam to make my truck rev at 3000rpm going 100(60mph) down the highway, i still need room to gear my dif, neither i, or my old man can remember what measurements are which for cams, basically what i'm looking for is to get the most bang for the buck, and then get roller rockers and springs and lifters to match the cam to get the best performance out of everything. What would you recommend for a cam?
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

You dont always have to get new rockers or springs with a cam. Id get a cam that makes good low-end and midrange power that isnt too agressive. Dont get a top end cam because you dont run it wide open all the time and it would be a waste to gear your truck down for more low end only to get a top end cam. Look at companys like Edelbrock and Compcams for great cams.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

Look at a CAM spec'd for towing.

It is just a little above stock, allowing for easy highway cruising, but will give more grunt at low end.

You can keep the stock Head lifters and such, if cost is a factor.

However, if you are doing a CAM, it would be a good time to upgrade the cylinder heads. Port 'em and they will breathe much better.
    Pavement sucks... :grrrrrr:

1994 K1500 4x4 Ext. Cab
    PCM chip and Xenon 8000k bulbs
    350cu.in bored over .050"
    balanced Crank, 10:1 compression
    Flat top pistons,cam,ported heads
    Option Racing Cold Air Intake
    Holley Throttle Body Spacer
    Accell Igition, 45kv coil
    FloTech Headers, no CATs, dual exhuast
    Goodyear Silent Armor A/T 305/70-16
    Pioneer SupertunerIII CD USB Bluetooth
    Kicker ZX200.2 ZX Amp
    Kicker Audio COMP 10" Subwoofer

I was looking at compcams, because a local shop can get them for pretty cheap. Does anyone know the stock cam specs? Valve Lift for intake and exhaust, and the duration for both? Still trying to find the right one for me, I was wanting low end, to get power to spin those tires. And springs to match. Maybe not the lifters as much, but definitely springs.

I will be doing all the do dads before i put her back together that is for sure. Rocker arms and push rods are easy to change so i will put them off until funds allow.

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Let us know how it runs when your done.

Cool summer engine mods

I would call CompCams at 1-800-999-0853 and have them recommend a cam. Also if your truck has alot of miles on it you may want to change the roller lifters. To change the lifters on these engines you have to remove the heads.

Yeah, i've seen roller done once or twice, my truck has 210,000km, or 130,487 miles. I would love to to get the rollers changed out. And might as well change out the valves while i'm at it, and got it all apart, instead of having to do all that labor. I'll call comp cams when i get the chance.

Thanks