GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z71 Questions

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Default Z71 Questions

Whats the difference between a regular Silverado or Sierra and their Z71 versions? All i know is that Z71's have a front diff., engine, and tranny skid plates. Any other differences besides that?
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

beefier suspension parts. 2 inch blocks under the rear leaf springs.
    Jeep Recovery Vehicle.

Cool Z71 Question

Depending on year, the Z-71 has larger tranny, power steering and engine oil coolers, larger air filter, larger diameter gas shocks, stiffer torsen bars/springs, 3.73/4.10 gears, skid plates, rear locker or limited slip, and the all important Z71 decals.

I agree with siveradotrailblazer. It all depends on the year.
    1998 Chevy Z71 Ext. Cab
    2010 Ford Fusion SE
    2001 Yamaha Kodiak

Almost Heaven

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Ok, thanks. What about for my '95?
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

I have a 2005 Silverado Z71... This is only my opinion, but it is claimed to be more so designed for off roading. However, my opinion is that it would be stupid to take a stock Z71 off roading, it is just a nicer ride and to me just means its not your typical 4x4 work truck. Again, only opinion used and not based on fact.

Jr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by mkruluts View Post
    I have a 2005 Silverado Z71... This is only my opinion, but it is claimed to be more so designed for off roading. However, my opinion is that it would be stupid to take a stock Z71 off roading, it is just a nicer ride and to me just means its not your typical 4x4 work truck. Again, only opinion used and not based on fact.
    I've always wondered this myself. It's been advertised as "Z71 OFF-ROAD" and on my quote from the dealer it has that exact terminology. But I'd like to know what they consider off road? Just the fact that you can drive on a logging road which isn't paved and if you happen to misjudge the height of a rock the skid plate will protect you? Obviously I'm not thinking rock crawling, but really where would the limit be for a stock truck: a farmer's field? Couple feet on snow on a frozen lake?

I have a friend with a Jeep who likes to go off roading and he was complaining the other day that his other friends with jeeps don't like to go very often, so he asked me to go. I said I'd for sure pitch in some gas $$$ and come along for the ride, and then he said "oh you wouldn't bring your truck?" Now some of the trails he goes on, literally are just trails that are grass, a little mud maybe (nothing deep), and some rocky ground so I'd have no problem taking my truck on those, but I'm not about to take my Z71 on some trail through mud pits or on really rough terrain with it's whopping two inch blocks under the rear suspension.
    SEAFOAM, I PUT THAT @#!$ IN EVERYTHING!

2004 Silverado LS 5.3L Z71 Crew Cab
    260,000+ km

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    Depending on year, the Z-71 has larger tranny, power steering and engine oil coolers, larger air filter, larger diameter gas shocks, stiffer torsen bars/springs, 3.73/4.10 gears, skid plates, rear locker or limited slip, and the all important Z71 decals.
    I have never heard of Z71 adding a bigger tranny or changing the rear end. Nor have i ever heard of the lift blocks out back, my brothers Z71 is no higher then my buddies standard 4x4. Its just skid plates, shocks and thicker sway bars and a sticker. the G80 can be ordered at any time its not a Z71 specific item along with the extra tranny or oil cooler.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

You have to take the "Off Road" part with a grain of salt, The Z71 is really not much more than a marketing upgrade, it doesn't mean you can you can take it mudbogging or rock crawling right off the showroom floor. For that matter even heavily modified off roaders often break while out on the trail, bottom line is that off roading is hard on a vehicle so you you have to use some judgment.
    Adam

Cool Z-71 Questions

The Z-71s didnt have larger trannys, they have larger tranny and power steering COOLERS, same as on the 1-ton duallys. With some years if you ordered the trailer towing packagw with the Z-71 package you also got a engine oil cooler. They also had steeper gears than a regular 4X4 as standard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast