GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: 1990 Alignment

Default 1990 Alignment

I want to do an alignment on my 90' Suburban & was wondering what people have used for good results on there trucks. My truck was towed in 1/2" & I was constantly steering it. I adjusted to 1/4" & it may be a little better but not where I want it.
    thanks
    Everyday I wake up is a great day! ;-)
    05' Chevy Suburban, 11' Ford Fiesta

Not really understanding what your asking. Any toe in is bad for your suspension and tires. Unless you are running a race track where you are turning left all the time and what not you want all your camber, caster and toe to all be zero. that is best for keeping undo wear from your suspension and tires
    Jeep Recovery Vehicle.

I am pretty sure most of my trucks have been toed in except for my Ford Bronco which was toed out. All were within 1/2" of 0 if I remember correctly. The truck was set at 1/2" toe in & I didnt like it & it was wearing the outside of tire. Didnt have much time but will have this weekend.
    Thanks

im confuzzled...I was thinking that the tires are suppose to be straight. Why would they not be? Seems like they would be fighting against each other & tires would go bald fast? Now i have to check mine out,,,hmmmm
    95 tahoe 2dr 4x4 200,000+ miles

Toe-In info from: http://www.automedia.com/Align_It_Yo...cr20021201ay/1
    Cars' front tires are slightly pigeon-toed to intentionally place a very slight load on the wheel bearings. Typical toe-in specs vary from 1/32 to 1/8-inch, depending on the vehicle. Check a service manual for your car's acceptable range.
    The best tip-off to a toe problem is a saw-tooth wear pattern that's equal on both front tires. If the tread blocks point toward the frame, then toe-in is excessive; pointing outward indicates too much toe-out.

www.aa1car.com/library/wheel_alignment.htm
    Toe-in means the front edges of the tires are closer together than the rear edges. Most rear-wheel drive cars and [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]trucks[/COLOR][/COLOR] have alignment specifications that call for a little bit of toe-in (say 1/16th of an inch or so). This will produce zero rolling toe as the vehicle is being driven down the road because the natural tendency for the front and [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]rear [COLOR=blue ! important]wheels[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] is to toe-out due to rolling resistance and compliance in the steering and suspension.

Some info

I know every car has a tolerable range. no car that I have ever seen is 1/2" or even a 1/4" even that 1/8" is rare
    Jeep Recovery Vehicle.

Thanks, I guess I will go for 1/8" & see how it feels, hope it feels better. I knew it was off by how it felt & looking at the tires (new).

alignments are done in tenths of a degree. i'd recomend you pay 50 bucks and get it done rite. its alot cheaper than having to buy new tires
    GM TECH

05 silverado shortbed

I would if they did all 4, but they only do the fronts. I adjusted it to 1/8" & seems to be driving good, will rotate tires so I can notice the wearing if any. Its too bad that the dealerships have given themselves a bad name & continue to do the same things!
    Maybe one day they will wake up, I hope!