GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: 4l60e question

Default 4l60e question

So I have a 2004 1500 5.3 4x4 and my tranny has been acting up as of late so I took it to a local reputable tranny shop and they told me after taking it for a drive and scanning for codes that its something internal but can't tell for sure without cracking it apart but assume that I'm losing pressure and my drums aren't engaging. Worse case, full rebuild is 1700. My question is is it worth it to just fork out the 1700 to have them rebuld it or pick up a rebuilt one (under 10k since rebuld and has all paperwork) for 400 and throw it in myself and if I do what bellhousing am I looking for? Most of what Im finding is 2pc. Thanks for your help

go to www.gmpartsclub.com and check out the prices. you can buy a new 4L60E for your truck for less that the cost of a rebuild. Plus, with a used tranny you might still have problems. Buyer beware! who knows how long it sat... how many miles it really has... how crappy the fluid is ect. I hate automatics but if i mess with them, id rather buy new if i could afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtrotter View Post
    go to www.gmpartsclub.com and check out the prices. you can buy a new 4L60E for your truck for less that the cost of a rebuild. Plus, with a used tranny you might still have problems. Buyer beware! who knows how long it sat... how many miles it really has... how crappy the fluid is ect. I hate automatics but if i mess with them, id rather buy new if i could afford it.
    Agreed, I had an S-10 and bought a used rebuild... burned up in 3 yrs, sold the truck. Biggest regret EVER.

Regards,

Thomas
    1998 S-10 Blazer, 4X4, 4dr LS
    2006 Silverado, 5.3, 4X4, std. bed, 4dr Z71

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tfisher91/
    Pics of my Blazer are on my Flickr account.
    Want to bring the Blazer back? Check out this petition: [URL]http://www.petitiononline.com/blazer/petition.html[/URL] you don't have to make your e-mail public.
    Bring back the Blazer Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-Back-the-S-10-Blazer/250090813158?v=wall Stop in and become a fan some time!

Do you have the money to let the tranny shop do it? What if you get that tranny put it in and its not that good? I hate getting things from junk yards cuz ya never know..
    Best of luck on that...
    95 tahoe 2dr 4x4 200,000+ miles

Quote Originally Posted by Mtrotter View Post
    go to gm part direct and check out the prices. you can buy a new 4L60E for your truck for less that the cost of a rebuild. Plus, with a used tranny you might still have problems. Buyer beware! who knows how long it sat... how many miles it really has... how crappy the fluid is ect. I hate automatics but if i mess with them, id rather buy new if i could afford it.

gmpartsdirect.com used to charge a ton for Shipping. Im not sure if they still do, but gmpartsclub.com has decent shipping prices.
    Bagged 06 Silverado Crew Cab.

Sr. Apprentice

It could also just be the valve body, might just need to be replaced. How many miles does it have?
    I had my suburban transmission rebuilt a few months ago, but it had over 170,000 miles on it. The shop I took mine to, will take the pan off & inspect for free.

What codes did it have? How was it acting up? How many miles on it? A good transmission shop will tell you what is going on with the transmission. A bad transmission shop will tell you they need to remove it and look inside. What is their warranty? A GM unit has a nationwide warranty and it's usually much better than a local shop's warranty.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    What codes did it have? How was it acting up? How many miles on it? A good transmission shop will tell you what is going on with the transmission. A bad transmission shop will tell you they need to remove it and look inside. What is their warranty? A GM unit has a nationwide warranty and it's usually much better than a local shop's warranty.

It isn't throwing any codes, it has 112k on it. It wouldn't shift from 1-2 regardless of how hard or soft you pushed on the accelerator until around 4k RPMS and if you jumped on it it would actually hit off the rev limiter before shifting from 1-2, and when pulling out on highway if it went to downshift hard from cruising it would just rev up and then "drop" into gear. As of now it wont shift into 3rd gear, if you get off the gas it'll drop into cruising rpms ~1800 at 60-65 but as soon as you step on the gas at all it'll just pop back into 2nd and be at ~4.5k-5k.

Sr. Apprentice

that sounds like a solinoid or valve body, not internal.

I would get a second opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Z71 View Post
    It isn't throwing any codes, it has 112k on it. It wouldn't shift from 1-2 regardless of how hard or soft you pushed on the accelerator until around 4k RPMS and if you jumped on it it would actually hit off the rev limiter before shifting from 1-2, and when pulling out on highway if it went to downshift hard from cruising it would just rev up and then "drop" into gear. As of now it wont shift into 3rd gear, if you get off the gas it'll drop into cruising rpms ~1800 at 60-65 but as soon as you step on the gas at all it'll just pop back into 2nd and be at ~4.5k-5k.
    This transmission should be setting codes if it's acting like that. A bad speed sensor would cause all these problems. Get another opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by