GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Rebuild or Replace

Ok this is my situation, I am in the possession of a 1995 Monte Carlo LS. It currently has 147k miles on it and the tranny decided to go bye bye. The rest of the car is in great shape with one small tear in the driver seat with some minor stains here and there. The engine runs like a top but the tranny only goes from first to a EXTREMEELY slipping second gear. I am wondering if I should replace the tranny with either a salvage, new or just rebuild the thing myself. I am pretty good with the tools so Iím pretty sure I can do it myself Iím just looking for input as to how much of a pain it is to rebuild verses replacing. Iím sure itís all going to boil down to $$$$ but I was looking for any advice for those who have been inside of one of these front wheel drive cruisers.

Thanks for the input.
    [/SIGPIC]07 Silverado LS factory 20's, spray in bedliner, in-bed cargo managment system, matching tint on front windows, K&N CAI, and Hypertech Max Engery Tuner and yet even more mods to come.

Quote Originally Posted by TMRuiz View Post
    Ok this is my situation, I am in the possession of a 1995 Monte Carlo LS. It currently has 147k miles on it and the tranny decided to go bye bye. The rest of the car is in great shape with one small tear in the driver seat with some minor stains here and there. The engine runs like a top but the tranny only goes from first to a EXTREMEELY slipping second gear. I am wondering if I should replace the tranny with either a salvage, new or just rebuild the thing myself. I am pretty good with the tools so Iím pretty sure I can do it myself Iím just looking for input as to how much of a pain it is to rebuild verses replacing. Iím sure itís all going to boil down to $$$$ but I was looking for any advice for those who have been inside of one of these front wheel drive cruisers.

Thanks for the input.
    If you have never rebuilt an automatic transaxle you are in for a treat. Can you rebuild engines? Engines are much easier to build than automatic transaxles. You will need a lot of specialty tools that will cost more than a rebuilt transmission. Take my advice. I have rebuilt lots of transmissions and my advice is to buy a reman. A GM reman if you are going to keep this car. Have fun!
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Thanks, thats the info I was looking for.
    Oh and yes I have rebuilt engines before, but you told me just what I wanted to know thanks.