GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default New silverado owner

Hey all
    I just got a 2006 chevy 1500 crew cab lt. It looks wonderful. My questions are, how do these truck compare to others. How reliable is the vortec engine.
    Any comments are appreiciated.

Dan

Default RE: New silverado owner

Hey Dan, welcome to the site.

What engine do you have and how many miles on it?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Default RE: New silverado owner

the 5.3 with about 21000 miles.

Default Great truck so far

Got my 2006 K2500 extended cab in Nov 2005. I have 56k miles on it without missing a beat. My only complaint is that the door hinges are weak and if the wind catches your door it can pop the hinge. I have had mine to the body shop twice for this. If you look around you will notice other Silverados with the tell-tale damage to the front fender and door like this photo. btw Chevy did not fix this under warranty. Said that it was my fault for opening the door when the wind was blowing so hard. Odd that I have never had that problem with my burb or with any other vehicle either. I think it is a design flaw that will keep body shops busy.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Sorry I am a bit late in replying, I've just recently registered. I bought an '07 Silverado Classic LT w/ the 5.3, but prior to that I had an '01 Pontiac Trans Am w/ the LS1 5.7 engine. As far as I am aware (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the 5.3 is pretty much a smaller version of the LS1. I sold the car with 167,000 miles and the ONLY problems I ever had with it outside of routine maintenance (bought it brand new) was the cat./convt. and a fog light. The engine felt just as solid as it did the day I drove it off the lot and the car could still cover the quarter mile in under 14 seconds. To be honest, it was the most dependable car I have ever owned hands down. It did have the piston slap, but even that didn't stop it! I wanted a truck and the Silverado was a no brainer based on the fact that it had a 'baby' LS1 in it and the dealerships were significantly discounting them. I plan to put about the same amount of mileage on the truck as I did the TA and I do expect to be at least as dependable. These LS engines can take a lickin and keep on tickin. The transmission may be a slightly different story, as I'm finding that their life expectancy is somewhere between 100-150k miles. Keep your fluid changed regularly. Another common problem seems to be the rear pinion seals and u-joints. I did have a slight pinion seal leak on the TA, but the driveshaft, u-joints, etc. were fine... so I'm not sure why the trucks are any different.

Also, even though the manual says it is okay to use 87 octane... I find that the LS engines don't like anything below 93. My Trans Am would ping up a storm if I even used mid-grade. I started off using 87 in the truck and now even it is starting to ping! (Argh!)

In any case, you should be fine. Enjoy your new truck! It should last you 200,000 miles+ even if you don't take care of it! The LS1 in my TA saw redline multiple times almost every single day and ran on regular dino oil which got changed only when I got 'round to it.
    Last edited by Chevortec; 01-25-2007 at 03:36 PM.

Welcome! My '04 Crew Cab has been a great truck so far (70,000 miles). My only "problem" is the noise in the intermediate steering shaft, but that is common, or so I understand.

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    Got my 2006 K2500 extended cab in Nov 2005. I have 56k miles on it without missing a beat. My only complaint is that the door hinges are weak and if the wind catches your door it can pop the hinge. I have had mine to the body shop twice for this. If you look around you will notice other Silverados with the tell-tale damage to the front fender and door like this photo. btw Chevy did not fix this under warranty. Said that it was my fault for opening the door when the wind was blowing so hard. Odd that I have never had that problem with my burb or with any other vehicle either. I think it is a design flaw that will keep body shops busy.
    Thanks for the info about this, That's the one thing that I have about my 2006 Silverado (11,000 miles in one year)My problem is that IM handicaped on my left side and when I push my door open it won't always open up or open all the way.
    Ido try to keep the doors greased but we all know when we get busy we forget the little things.
    I also have a question about my Silverado, f you get time please check it out (message to all)

dan as far as i'm concerned i wouldn't trade my chevy in for any other truck. i own a 07 chevy silverado classic. the 5.3 is a 325 ci engine they consider it to be the 327. to me i have no problem with vortech they are a very dependable engine to my knowledge. and i'm on my second one. with only 21000 miles on it you have ALOT of life left in that engine atleast 200000 miles, as long as you do rutine checks and oil changes. you should be as pleased with your truck as i am with mine. enjoy it.
    Last edited by dirtyrider1981; 02-15-2007 at 01:18 AM.

My sister just called me last night to tell me that she turned 100,000 miles on her 2001 Tahoe w/ the 5.3. She bought it brand new. Only problems she's had with it is DRL bulbs burning out. Transmission is still solid (knock on wood)
    2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic LT
    Extended cab/short box
    5.3 Vortec V8
    8,000 miles

SOLD: 2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    WS6
    5.7 LS1 V8
    167,000 miles. Couldn't kill it!