GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Exhaust

Default Exhaust

Hey,

I've got a '96 Silverado 5.7 Ext. Cab 2wd. I'm looking for either a dual exhaust with split rear exit, or one 3 inch outlet. Needs to be cat-back. Definitely want something that sounds good. And I'm kinda on a budget. Also, I can install it myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    1996 GMC Sierra 5.7L 4x4 158K

Default Exhaust

I had a '96 Exc. Cab a few years ago. I had "true duals" installed w/Flowmasters. Had a good "performance" sound and it helped a little on gas mileage. It had a "drone" inside the cab at cruising speeds which I didn't like. I was told that Flowmaster makes a "single in- single out" for big blocks that are good for SUVs that don't have the "drone". There are a lot of good "cat back" systems out there, good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by 96silverado View Post
    I've got a '96 Silverado 5.7 Ext. Cab 2wd. I'm looking for either a dual exhaust with split rear exit, or one 3 inch outlet. Needs to be cat-back. Definitely want something that sounds good. And I'm kinda on a budget. Also, I can install it myself.
    If I were in your situation, I'd prefer MagnaFlow. They are showing these two options:

96-98 5.7L V-8, EC/SB, Silverado 1500, dual inlet muffler,
    rear side exit, 2.5"/3" SS tubing, 4" rolled/p-SS tip 15602 $642.72

96-98 Dual Exhaust System,
    5.7L V-8, EC/SB, Silverado 1500, dual split rear exit,
    2.5" SS tubing, 3.5" rolled/p-SS tips 15750 $698.61

Performancecenter.com is a good place to pick either of those up at a much reduced price.

Wow fellas, I was looking to stay under $300, preferably $200. Would I be better off getting a muffler shop to custom build me one? JcWhitney has a few for under $200, but they exit in front of the wheels, and I don't want thank.

Thanks

Legend

You could try Summit Racing They have a lot of options for exhaust. You can call them, and tell them what you're looking for, and they'll help you find the best price for what you want.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Quote Originally Posted by 96silverado View Post
    Wow fellas, I was looking to stay under $300, preferably $200. Would I be better off getting a muffler shop to custom build me one? JcWhitney has a few for under $200, but they exit in front of the wheels, and I don't want thank.

Thanks
    if you trying to save money your best bet would be to just get a cheaper catback you can get a flowmaster super 40 catback for a little over $300 from jegs and install yourself. but if it were me i'd just save and go ahead and put you a true dual exhaust with flowmaster super 40's. just the mufflers would cost you roughly $80+. good luck with the project.