GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I just had a quick question. I dont know anything about you, so i dont want to presume anything at all. I really dont want you to take this the wrong way, and im really enjoying reading all this tech info.

How much has all this cost you? Is it worth it to keep putting money into this project rather then just purchase another vehicle?

2008 Silverado
    4.8 V8
    2WD
    2" RC leveling kit

Right now i've got about fifteen hundred in it. But most of that was all body. I bought this truck fresh outta high school and was pretty rough on it. About two years ago the transmission went out and I just parked it and let it set because it was pretty rough anyway. I bought a wakeboard boat with a couple friends last year and was getting tired of having to borrow a pickup to get it to the lake when I wanted to use it which is only about twenty miles away so I figured I would rebuild my transmission and fix up my old truck rather than buying a different one. Trans rebuild only cost me 300. Took a bed, door, and fender off my dads old 89 chevy pickup that was sitting in a pasture for parts. Sanded and painted. Bought a new grille and front bumper. Now I have too much into it to stop now. Oh well I do love the truck.

NEW ISSUES

After I put in a new PCM, all was well for about five thousand miles, then I began having torque converter shudder. If I was just maintaing speed it was fine, but if I tried to lightly accelerate it would begin to shudder. Once it began to shudder I could press the brake peddle to unlock the TCC and it would stop. Also, I would notice that sometimes when it locks up, it wouldn't lock up completely usually driving 65 MPH with TCC locked up my RPM's would be around 1650-1700, but once I began having problems driving same speed with TCC locked up would result in RPM's in 1800-1900 range.

Driving home from from lumber yard (25 miles away) I noticed the TCC didn't lock up at all the whole trip home.
    I figured my torque converter just needed replaced, so the next day I was driving it to my uncle's shop to remove transmission and OD began slipping pretty bad. Pulled dispstick and the fluid did not look good (especially for only having 5,000 miles on it) and smelled burned.

If you look at my original post this is the third time the time the transmission has failed in this vehicle in the exact same way - no tcc, then no OD, and eventually no third (It hasn't got that bad yet because it is parked) in a very short amount of time/miles.

I hooked it up to a scanner and got code P1870 slippage. Did some google research to find repairs such as- transgo shift kits and sonnax valves. When I rebuilt the transmission, I did very little to the valve body. Is this more than likely my problem?? Also I was wondering if I should go ahead and replace the torque converter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12