GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2004 Chevy Silverado Tow/Haul Mode

This just started recently. When I put my truck in gear, especially after backing out, the Tow/Haul is engaged. I have to drive a short way, then stop, put it in Reverse, and then back in gear to get the light on the dash to go out. It then drives and shifts normallly. The truck doesn't respond to the button on the end of the gearshift. The gearshift is on the column. Any ideas on what is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Tripleblack View Post
    This just started recently. When I put my truck in gear, especially after backing out, the Tow/Haul is engaged. I have to drive a short way, then stop, put it in Reverse, and then back in gear to get the light on the dash to go out. It then drives and shifts normallly. The truck doesn't respond to the button on the end of the gearshift. The gearshift is on the column. Any ideas on what is going on?

There is a wire"Orange" that runs down the Column Shifter and to the base of the steering column for the Tow/Haul mode.....The casing around wire has most likely split open and the wire got pinched and Broke....Below is a link that show how to repair the wire,

Link,

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...ght=haul+broke
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 08-29-2013 at 03:24 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Thank you for responding so quickly. This was my first post, anywhere! I am definitely technically challenged, so this may be too much for my skillset. I might have to take it to the dealer for this.

Thank you for responding so quickly. This was my first post, anywhere! I am definitely technically challenged, so this may be too much for my skillset. I might have to take it to the dealer for this.
    Your Welcome,........It's not hard to repair, if you have a friend or someone that can give you a hand in repairing this wire, it will save you some...$$$$...That is what this Site and other's are about, helping other member's....
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 08-29-2013 at 03:24 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE

Default Replace gearshift column?

I was looking around on the web, and found a similar problem on Repairpal.com. They recommended replacing the gear shift lever that has the switch. Is that in effect what your repair swould do, or is this something different. If it is different, is it difficult to replace the gearshift? Thank you!

I was looking around on the web, and found a similar problem on Repairpal.com. They recommended replacing the gear shift lever that has the switch. Is that in effect what your repair swould do, or is this something different. If it is different, is it difficult to replace the gearshift? Thank you!

I would said that 99% of the problems with the Tow/Haul mode not working,.... is due to what I mentioned above, the wire is been pinched.....But it may be the Button at the end of the shifter has broke.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 08-29-2013 at 03:23 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE

On your Question,about replacing the shifter....I have replaced the shifter in my truck, once again not hard to do, it just takes time.

The only reason I replaced my Column Shifter.... is installed the ones that are put in the Escalade's,
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 08-29-2013 at 03:29 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE

Thanks again, I will have to try to take a look and see what is under there!

By the way, you have a very nice looking truck!

By the way, you have a very nice looking truck!
    Thank you....Would you have any Pictures of your Ride???.....
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 08-29-2013 at 03:25 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast