GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default e load rated towing tires

finally got the travel trailer, 32-ft regular hitch, to tow behind the 99 suburban, 5.7-liter vortec 350, as long as it can. ran across discussions about putting e load rated tires on the pulling vehicle to give stiffer sidewalls to help prevent sway (got the bars, too) and possibly even to help a bit with gas mileage.

only trouble is trying to find decent tires sized (235/75/15) or something that will go on those stock custom 15-inch rims on the burb. could go with d rated tires but i'm leaning toward the e's. michelin has an a/s tire but it starts at 16 inches.

any knowledge of a tire out there that would be an e series with a decent reputation that would be in a 235/75/15? if so, i haven't found it. did run across the kumho tire and no i wouldn't put that on anything
    Darrell-Georgia
    1999 Chevy Suburban LS C1500, 2wd, 5.7-liter 8-cylinder Vortec, 175,000 miles

ran across this on tiretrack.com, just hope they really DO come in this size at the e load rating, good price and the warehouse is within two hours drive:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

well, looks like this tire in an e rating would start at 245/75/16 so new wheels are on the list too, i guess

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....2OWL&tab=Sizes

pirelli, not crazy about the scorpion name, but... and i'm done talking to myself

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, in the Florida Panhandle, so far out that we are in the Central Time Zone

Default Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

I pull a 7400# Airstream travel trailer with a 2004 2500 Suburban. I use laod range E Michelins from Sams Club. Load range E's do start at 16 in. @500 Subs come with 245x75R16 E's. I replaced my original with 265's.

With that big a trailer make sure that you use a quality weight distribution/sway control hitch system. Also check the hitch receiver on your Sub. The OEM receivers on GM trucks are junk when it come to heavy trailers. I have had weld cracks on two of them.

Brian
    Brian McCabe
    Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
    '05 Yukon XL 2500 Quadrasteer
    '11 Silverado 3500