GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am from Curry Alabama. But i currently lay my head down in Iraq south of Baghdad

Wink changing the gears

I have read some of the thread here advising poeple to change their gearing to 4.56 ish if they are going to a 35+ size tire. I am just wondering what is the time frame you need to change them before it starts to do damage. Are we talking weeks months or years? There will be no off-roading until i get it changed. i just want to be sure street driving wont hurt it for a month or two. thakns for your help

Cool changing the gears

Every truck is differant and how you drive. If you havent lifted your truck yet I would wait until you can change the gears when you lift the truck. I ran my Suburban for a week after lift and it ran like a dog. Had no power and the tranny ran hot.So when I lifted my Silverado I changed the gears at the same time.

This depends on what gears you have now. Some Chevy's come stock with 4.10 gears, if this is the case you are fine. I had 3.73 gears stock and actually drove mine lifted with 35's for almost a month before re-gearing. It was a dog and downshifted a lot on the highway. I did also notice my tranny ran hotter than it did prior to the lift. I would recommend you either wait and have both done at the same time or drive it very little until you re-gear.

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    6" Suspension Lift and 1.5" Body Lift
    20x9 Ballistic Jesters w/35" Toyo Open Country MT's & 1.5" rear wheel spacers
    4:56 Yukon Gears
    Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator
    Baja style bed mount spare tire carrier
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals
    Tint, Line-X bedliner, Window visors, Rear wheel well liners
    Painted front grill, bow ties and door badges, de-"lettered" tailgate
    Powder coated front and rear bumpers

Blog Entries

How can you find out what gears you have?
    -Dactyl-
    2006 Silverado Z71 5.3L V8
    18in Wheels
    35x12.50x18 Tires
    Gibson Duel Cat-Back Exhaust
    Bed Liner
    Tonneau Cover
    Orange Dice
    :fighting0037:

Cool changing gears

Look at the label in your glove box for one of these codes. GT5= 4.10, GT4=3.73, GU6=3.42 and GU5=3.23.

if u are short on cash and want to lift it soon like i did with my old truck, put the lift and just re-gear the back axle for now and wait til u get the cash to do the front, just dont use the 4x4

I am from Curry Alabama. But i currently lay my head down in Iraq south of Baghdad

Thumbs up

thanks fellas i am thinking about getting the lift installednow and when i go home on leave getting the tires and gears done what do y'all think about that? because from what i am understanding it is the tires that need the deeper gearing correct?

Sr. Apprentice

Thats correct. When you put taller tires on the truck it effectively changes your gear ratio.....all you are doing by re-gearing is bringing it back to a stock (or improved) ratio. So lift it and drive all you want.....then when you get new taller tires....get it re-geared when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by bama dave View Post
    thanks fellas i am thinking about getting the lift installednow and when i go home on leave getting the tires and gears done what do y'all think about that? because from what i am understanding it is the tires that need the deeper gearing correct?

1998 Suburban K2500 4x4
    9" of Lift - 4.56's - Limited Slip
    37" Tires - Lot's of Mods

You need to make sure your stock rims will work with whatever lift you go with.

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    6" Suspension Lift and 1.5" Body Lift
    20x9 Ballistic Jesters w/35" Toyo Open Country MT's & 1.5" rear wheel spacers
    4:56 Yukon Gears
    Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator
    Baja style bed mount spare tire carrier
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals
    Tint, Line-X bedliner, Window visors, Rear wheel well liners
    Painted front grill, bow ties and door badges, de-"lettered" tailgate
    Powder coated front and rear bumpers

in order to run stock rims you cant get a knuckle lift it needs to be a bracket kit like procomp or superlift. but if its newer the bracket lift may not be an option. On the gearing if you have 3.73 gears and go to a 35" tire it would be the same as running a 3.31 with stock tires (if its a 3.43 it would be like a 3.07 etc). Your highway rpms will drop but will definately make everything work alot harder to get it moving. If your nice to it, it will do the job for a while until you can change the gears. Here is a chart showing gear ratio and tire size http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/gear_ratio.html
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast