GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default PLEASE help me with my rotor

hey guys okay soo im posting this here as well as the C/K truck forum bcuz we technically have the same setups. Alright my truck is a 1992 K2500 suburban eight lug. full floating rear. Discs up front drums in the back la di da da da . . . i went to put new rotors on at my school (UTI) and CANNOT seem to seperate the rotor from the hub assembly or knuckle . All data says to use a puller to pull the rotor off of the assembly. we did that. the axle just pushed in and the rotor did not move next we tried a slide hammer puller that did not work either. we soaked it in pb blaster to try and loosen up some of the rust but no help... Are there any secrets or anything at all you guys could suggest to get this d*mn rotor off im losing my mind thanks in advance for all the help you guys are great here.
    p*ssed of Gerry

** sorry if my terminology is off on the parts or w.e. hopefully you guys understand wat im trying to say. thanks

trick i learned was before you take the caliper off hit the rotor with a hammer and that seems to help Mainly on fords but may work for you, i would just beat it off with a hammer if your going to replace it you can try to heat the rotors mounting face to help break it loose

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

Since you have a 4WD (I'm assuming since you said it was a K and mentioned about an axle) the rotor is just placed on the hub and should come off after you've removed the caliper........ If it's rusted in place just beat it with a hammer to break the rust loose........ No need to touch the axle/axle nut.....
    Joseph

Airforce Veteran (7 years)

NRA Life Member

well its the heavy duty setup where there in a uni bearing setup hub assembly i need to remove the caliper remove 4 15mm bolts in the back of the hub assembly and the use a puller and pull the rotor and hub off of the knuckle i havent had time to work on it but hopefully tomorrow (sunday) ill have time to play around with it ill keep you posted on how it goes thx