GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Engineer

Default Air Intake Kits ....

Anybody replaced the stock air intake box with one of these "vortex" kits? You take out the box behind the battery and put in a cone oiled filter with a tube to a circular feed that replaces the Air cleaner?

I have one that I am going to try and put in tonight, just wondered if it was as functional as it appears to be pretty.

never heard a good word about those. Try it and see if you want. What exactly are you installing, btw?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Jr. Engineer

Its a Generic Version of this....

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-3026, there is also another piece they don't show that replaces the stock air filter.

Be careful with some of these generic cone filters. Some may even impede the performance of your engine. Cold Air Intakes helps your engine breathe better for air/fuel mixture. Does the vortex have a heat shield around it, like the K&N? The heat shield helps to keep the intake from sucking in the warm engine air. Warm/hot engine air is not as dense as cold air, therefore you have less air, which means you will get less fuel for combustion. Some of these cone filters might be worst then the stock filters for air flow also. IMO K&N has some of the best air filters out there.

I have a Volant CAI installed and haven't had any problems.

That's totally different than what I was thinking about. I'd be interested in hearing what your results are.

Jr. Engineer

OK, its done (just the air intake that is). Tough to say whether it made a difference or not. Ran it a little tonight and seems to run as good as ever.

After looking at the OEM setup this HAS to be an improvement from what was there for air flow. Although after reading Ellis's post I am going to put a "heat shield" around it to isolate the draw to cold air only. Thanks for the pointer.

If anybody wants to check it out here are the pics
    http://hjalmervik.com/suburban/air_1.jpg (air_2.jpg, air_3.jpg and Air_4.jpg -->notice the CAP A on ONLY the last one) didn't notice that till it was too late to fix it.

MN_Burbon, looks good...you might want to put a plug on the hole you have there (air_3.jpg). Looks like the hole might be for an air flow sensor. Wouldn't want to get any particles or debris into your intake maifold...that could get ugly.

Jr. Engineer

I was going to check into that today. Wasn't sure what that was for. Thanks Ellis.

Legend

That's not too encouraging that you couldn't see a difference with it on. Maybe you'll see a difference in mileage.

Definately plug that hole.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Jr. Engineer

Its really hard to say if there is a difference or not, It's running really well right now and I am trying to be objective and not "see things that aren't there" so to speak. While there is not an obvious characteristic change, if I had to say better or worse at this point I'd say better. I stll have to add the heat shield. Either way it was in my opionion $35.00 well spent on Ebay

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by