GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Engineer

Default Heater Box question

Hey guys,

Thanks for reading my first post on the forums.

This is my first suburban but not my first truck. I have a lot of plans for this truck but I just need the time to do it.

First off I need to fix some of the problems that it has before I get to aftermarket upgrades.

First problem. I have no Medium, or Low setting on my fan selector. The switch will go to those settings but the fan cuts out and doesn't run at all. Could this be that infamous triple tap resistor somewhere behind the dash?

Second problem. The Rear Air/heat doesnt' work at all? checked fuses, everything is ok so far... any ideas?

Well thats enough for now, Feel free to email me anytime for anything if you think I could help.

thanks again

BTW its a 1993, burb, sle 4x4 with 350, 4L60-E.

thanks
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 02-21-2007 at 10:13 AM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by L0sts0ul View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks for reading my first post on the forums.

This is my first suburban but not my first truck. I have a lot of plans for this truck but I just need the time to do it.

First off I need to fix some of the problems that it has before I get to after market upgrades.

First problem. I have no Medium, or Low setting on my fan selector. The switch will go to those settings but the fan cuts out and doesn't run at all. Could this be that infamous triple tap resistor somewhere behind the dash?

Second, the Rear Air/heat doesn't' work at all? checked fuses, everything is ok so far... any ideas?

Well thats enough for now, Feel free to email me anytime for anything if you think I could help.

thanks again

BTW its a 1993, burb, sle 4x4 with 350, 4L60-E.

thanks
    Welcome to the club. It probably is the resistor in the control unit. Do you have the electronic pushbutton control unit, or do you have manual switches?

Regarding the rear fan you need to make sure that the front selector is set to allow control at the back selector. I would test for voltage at the fan, since it's easy to get at. That will eliminate it as being the problem, and needing to be replaced if you don't get any voltage.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Jr. Engineer

I thought about that, do you know where the resistor is, and yes its the pushbuttons not manual switches.

I have fully tested the knobs for the rear air, and nothing... I Was goin got pull the casing off and test for voltage at the motor and go from there.

There was an electronic trailor brake in teh truck bfore I bought it, and it was removed... I am just curious as to how ROOKIE the guy was that installed that maybe he messed something up that I Dont know about

thanks

I've got a 93 burb too. The lights on the controller were out so I thought I'd pull it apart to check the bulbs. I got the controller out but the bulbs are not serviceable. My controller works fine, its just the lights that are non-op. Here is a pic of the controller with the PN.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    I've got a 93 burb too. The lights on the controller were out so I thought I'd pull it apart to check the bulbs. I got the controller out but the bulbs are not serviceable. My controller works fine, its just the lights that are non-op. Here is a pic of the controller with the PN.
    If you like dabbling in electronics you can probably unsolder the bad resistors, and replace them. It will probably be a PIA to do though. You might be better off trying to search out that part number and see about replacing it.
    You could try eBay.

Jr. Engineer

ok, so are you saying I need to replace the module that I control the heat from?

or rip out the blower motor firsT?

thanks

Hi, when you pull down the motor you will see 2 or 3 wires coming out of the housing on the blower. That is the resistor, I believe it to be a 4 speed fan although I may be wrong. This is a comon problem they collect moisture and debris over the years and then *poof* they are gone. GM sells the replacement resistor and it is far better than trying to repair it yourself. No offense to all who have tried or done it, I have had little luck in doing so. The part last time I checked was between $85 and $105. You might strike gold at a parts store and get it cheaper. I don't recomend salvage parts on this matter do to the frequent failure of the part. Hope this helps.

NAPA

I just replaced one for a friend in her Impala.

Forget how much it was but I think it was under $50

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

I would try parts stores first as well. Dealer prices are insane. I beleive you are right though NAPA sells the for around$50 or less. VIP sells them as well but I don't know how much.