GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Question Smart money

Weird how big companies will 'budget' their monies. They hire contract labor for dangerous work to keep their workers comp insurance low. (If a contractor dies on the job, they can just hire another contractor.) Then there is the capital expense vs operating expense issue. If they shift labor cost of an employee to the labor cost of a contractor there is some mumbo jumbo they spew about how capex is treated differently that opex in the tax code. Even though it cost more for the contractor, they 'save' money?
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

This is my " I got stuck story " from once upon a time , a long long time ago when I was in high school.

I was driving in the woods near my parents house with the girl I was dating at the time. Driving fast enough over the bumps and ruts so that she had one hand on the roof and the other on the seat to keep herself in the seat , I was having a good ol time. Making her chest bounce around like that , was good for laughs and giggles as well.

Over a hill we went and came down in sandy loose soil. The front end dug itself in while the rear was trying to climb over. Great ,, This aint gonna work.

" I have to get out and push , while you drive "

" I cant drive a clutch, WHAT am I supposed to do ? "

" Put it in first , slowly let out the clutch , and give it some gas at the same time "

" Isnt there anything else we can do ? "

" You wanna push ?" ( shes all of 5 foot , 100 lbs ) She just gives me a yeahright look

"hop on over and lets get this going"

first try = stall
    second try = stall

"Dont let the clutch out so fast "

third try = Wheels spin , rocks flying , I'm ducking

"Ok , this time , try a little less fuel when you let the clutch out"

It worked . We 're out . She drove about twenty feet and stalled out when she stopped.

I got in and drove peacefully out of the woods and took her home . She didnt talk very much on the way (think she was ticked?)

I never did take her into the woods again after that , and I wonder if any other guys ever tried ... hehehe
    Carl
    Pennsylvania
    1993 GMC Yukon GT

Default stuck like chuck

after climbing all the hills and holes in the local hummer dealers test track(i was in a 95 sidekick suzuki w/street tires (i forgot i had a ranch hand cargo rack in my class III hitch, i get the bright(or not so) idea to back off of the steepest,shortest hill and end up with two in the air and two on the ground. after digging a hole under the rack and jacking it up and kicking it off the jack I WAS FREE!! the only loss being an old jack and a really new pair of dockers( i have no pride to damage since i gave it up to sell cars a few years back) oh well, DIE TRYING!

Default I wasn't stuck, but....

I pulled a 3/4 ton Ford crew cab diesel out of grass and mud with my 'burb with a slippy transmission. Oh, the Ford was a few months old and my truck had near 200K on the clock.

Jr. Mechanic

Default Stuck Stories

My Story Goes Back To 1978-79. I Was Working As A Civilian Dispatcher For A Small Police Dept. On Third Shift When One Of The Biggest Snowstorms To Hit West Michigan Came. When I Got Done With My Shift I Was Pushing Snow With My Bumpers In My Chev. Blazer On My Way Home. Only Two Of Us At The Dept. Had 4wheelers So The Chief Called And Asked Us To Come Back In And Help Out Getting Fresh Officers In And Third Shift Ones Home And Handle Emergency Calls. I Started Transferring Officers While The Other Guy Took Emergency Calls. While Taking The Last Officer Home From A Neighboring Dept., I Got Stuck In A Wind Row Left By A Large Snowplow Truck Trying To Get Down The Side Road To The Officer's Home. Much To My Surprise, A Couple Of Snowmobiles Came By And Hooked On To Me And With Their Power And Mine Managed To Get Over The Packed Snow Mound. It Was A Time When All The Community Got Out And Helped Each Other No Matter What Was Needed To Be Done. The Next Day The Natl. Guard Was Activated And Brought In The Heavy Stuff To Get Things Going.

I got stuck a few years ago in my '90 Astro Van. We had pulled off on the "grass" to look at some property. The grass was "damp" from the dew (no rain) and the sun was shinning. I had a set of low profile tires (new) on the van and when we started to leave it would just set there and spin the tires! I finally got it back on the road by me pushing it sideways while my wife was spinning the tires. I thought I was going have to call a wrecker to "rescue" me. No mud, just wet grass!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Blog Entries

My most recent "stuck story" comes from this past November during late muzzleloader elk season. I still had my Tacoma and my buddy has a 1989 Suburban w/4" lift and 35's. We had split up on seperate roads when he tried to pull off the road to let another truck go by and got hi-centered on the snow berm left by the snowplow. His left front tire was off the ground and he couldn't budge so he called me on my Garmin Rino to come and rescue him. We hooked a tow-rope up and had to get a running start in reverse and finaly jerked hard enough after 3 tries to pull him off the berm.

Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

I never got stuck, but thought I'd like to share this:
    I'm in the Air Force, and was stationed at Clark Air Base, Philippines in 1991. Mount Pinatubo erupted that year, and caused destructive mudflows near the base. The mudflows wiped out many bridges. A few weeks after the eruptions, rivers were passable as long as the water was low. Still, you can misjudge which part of the river was shallow enough. One time, I crossed a river in my trusty Nissan Sentra (2wd, of course ) and got nervous when I started to see water going over the front of my hood. But I made it through, thank goodness ) That's the last time I went "off-roading".

~~~~~
    Chuck
    '06 Silverado

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by cecivic View Post
    I'm in the Air Force, and was stationed at Clark Air Base, Philippines in 1991. Mount Pinatubo erupted that year, and caused destructive mudflows near the base. The mudflows wiped out many bridges. A few weeks after the eruptions, rivers were passable as long as the water was low. Still, you can misjudge which part of the river was shallow enough. One time, I crossed a river in my trusty Nissan Sentra (2wd, of course ) and got nervous when I started to see water going over the front of my hood. But I made it through, thank goodness ) That's the last time I went "off-roading".

~~~~~
    Chuck
    '06 Silverado
    Welcome to the club.

I can imagine that must have been a little unsettling.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Quote Originally Posted by cecivic View Post

~~~~~
    Chuck
    '06 Silverado
    Not too many people can put together a story about a Volcano, wiped out bridges and the need to cross a river.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by