GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Wheres my antifreez going

im loosing a gallon of antifreez a weak and i have no trace of it leaking on the ground. ive checked my oil and its fine.
    98 Chevy 2 Door Tahoe
    K&N Cold Air Intake
    Flowmaster 40 Series

im no expert on this but maybe thru your intake? i know some intakes have water jackets in them

07 silverado classic
    4.8 vortec
    2 1/2" drop shackles
    Diablosport Predator :)
    custom air intake

1st thing I'd probably do would be to put a pressure tester on it (Autozone even has one as a loaner, other parts stores may, as well). Most external leaks can be found this way. Some external leaks are slow enough that the antifreeze evaporates off of the hot engine before it can show up on the ground. A pressure tester allows you to find those leaks.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Sr. Apprentice

Also check your exhaust pipe, for extra moisture or smell.

Pull your plugs and look for a greenish tint your heads could be leaking i have pressure tested mine all great pressures and resealed the heads and intake and im still burning coolant bad but more then likely you could be burning it but check for the greenish tint on the plugs to see if it is in the cylinders

Legend

You have a a vortec motor, they are notorious for the intake gasket going. If it is do ALL your major gaskets. You will have the it ripped apart anyway. It will save you money and time down the road to to them all at once.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

^ What he said. That era of Vortec motors were notorious for eating up intake gaskets. I had a 97 and a 98 which both went thru 3 each in the time I owned them. It is very hard to see what the problem is as it seems to evaporate or something as you drive around. But you can be pretty much assured that it is the intake gaskets.