GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Apprentice

Default New Silverado Owner with Traction Control Issue

I bought a 2007 Silverado Classic yesterday. So far happy with the purchase. I noticed on the test drive when accelerating from a dead stop the truck would slightly hesitate and the "Traction Activated" message would appear. Never having traction control before I didn't think much of it. After searching this site it seems others have had the same problem.

I'm debating what I should do. It dosent really bother me much now but I dont want it to develop into something else later. I HATE Dealerships but being its still under the powertrain warranty I suppose taking it to my local Chevy Dealership is my best option.

Anyone else have this trouble?

Thanks! Jeff

Sr. Apprentice

I dont have traction control on any of my vehicles, but having the hesitation like you stated and still being under warranty - take it in and see what happens. Hopefully they have a solution thats covered.
    02 Chev Trailblazer
    72 Chev Corvette

One of my work vehicles is a 06 tahoe and it has the same problem. when the wheels begin to spin the power will automatically cut down just so that the wheels will not spin. and if they do spin the 2 rear wheels will go back and forth...its kinda messed up. dont know if you have to deal with it in the snow but traction control is your worst nightmare with that also. does it have one of those nice little buttons that shuts off the TC? the tahoe has it and i shut it off right away. it beeps and tells you its off which can be irritating but its worth it
    ~Dan~

Jr. Apprentice

Yea, Ive been shutting it off also. Its not quite doing the same as yours. Mines just a slight hesitation while it activates then its fine. Almost like a sensor "thinks" the wheels are slipping but there arent. Probably going to take it in to the dealer soon, I hate car dealers!

This is a fairly common problem. Most likely one of the front wheel speed sensors is "lazy" and not reading any wheel speed until about 10mph. This makes the system think the other wheels a spinning and activates the traction control. The same issue as the wheel speed drop off problem they have when coming to a stop. Have fixed many trucks with this problem.

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Veinot View Post
    This is a fairly common problem. Most likely one of the front wheel speed sensors is "lazy" and not reading any wheel speed until about 10mph. This makes the system think the other wheels a spinning and activates the traction control. The same issue as the wheel speed drop off problem they have when coming to a stop. Have fixed many trucks with this problem.

Thanks for the info. How do you figure out which speed sensor is bad? Are they easy to change? Does this look like the correct part??

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain

Thanks!

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Veinot View Post

Ok, i finally got around to tesing my front wheel sensors. My front passenger side sensor is reading .1 Vac when I spin the wheel. Now I am sure the voltage reading is incorrect since I have a super cheap Voltmeter but I do get a reading. When I test the drivers side I dont get ANY voltage at all. SO, I am assuming the drivers side sensor is bad. I am going to order a new sensor.

Does anyone who has changed a front wheel sensor have and tips or tricks I should know? It looks pretty straight forward. Remove wheel, caliper, rotor, sensor, reverse. Is there any trick to getting the rotor off?

Thanks in advance!!

Jr. Apprentice

Got the sensor changed this morning. For any of you that have to do this, its not to bad. The hardest part is getting the rotor off.

When you go to remove the sensor theres a good chance it will break off in the hub. I thought I was really screwed when this happend. I used a 5/16 drill bit and SLOWLY threaded it into the hole. When the plastic housing broke loose I slowly worked it out without dropping anything in the hole. One other thing I learned is it isnt necessary to use the clamps that come with the new senor. The middle one is a real pain to get out. I ended up breaking the stem off in the hole and drilling it out. Think I would have reused the old if I did it over again.

The down side is I am still having the same trouble. Think I am going to try changing the other one next, see if I can beat my time!

Did you take it to the dealer? Seems like you are doing a lot of work and guessing at something that should be covered under warraty.
    2007 Chevy Silverado LT1 Crew Cab
    4x4, 5.3 Vortec Flex Fuel with Active Fuel Management

why do ya hate dealerships so much?

the sensors are built into the hub how did you replace just the sensor? your doing more bad than good putting cheap aftermarket parts on it

hubs and wss are covered under your powertrain warranty on the 07's but i dought thats your problem to begin with
    Last edited by Loggerhead Mike; 05-03-2010 at 04:33 PM.
    GM TECH

05 silverado shortbed

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by