GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Auto companies merging

Wo WHO I own page 3

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy72526 View Post
    I wonder how they'd merge those labor Unions......
    The unions are all UAW, doesn’t matter who you work for, it’s UAW.

United Auto Aerospace, and Agricultural implement, Workers Union

As far as them ever consolidating to one company.

NEVER.

They are all in trouble because of their own managements inability to listen to anyone.

I saw it every day, give management a suggestion and they just let it go away, until it’s been so long that they can use the idea without paying you for it.

When I worked for GM in the 70’s and 80’s I submitted a suggestion that when they went to front wheel drive, they not eliminate the driveshaft hump in the floor. Keep it and run the exhaust down it to protect it and give the body more structural strength.

They waited till my suggestion was out of date and never paid me for it.

I told them in 85 when I took a 4 cylinder Celebrity home that the car was way to under powered.

They did nothing.

They will not listen to the public, not even their own workers.
    Last edited by 84fiero123; 02-23-2007 at 07:21 PM.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Quote Originally Posted by 84fiero123 View Post
    Wo WHO I own page 3

They are all in trouble because of their own managements inability to listen to anyone.

They will not listen to the public, not even their own workers.
    It isn't just the automakers. I'm in computers and all to many times I have seen management bring in the "Experts" to at best have them say the same thing we were telling them for months or more or at worst lie and rip them off by leading then down the rosy path. You know who I'm talking about. The ones that wear a suit, come from 50+ miles away, and charge $200+ an hour.

I had an employer pay 50 million + dollars over 5 years to a "Consulting" firm to implement an ERP system (software package). After they failed for the second time my employer came to us (the employees) and asked if we thought we could put it in. We told them we could have had it in production three years earlier and they gave us 9 months and one shot to do it.

The package has been running like a clock for seven years now and as a pay back they just contracted with another "Consulting" firm to the tune of 70 million for an implementation of another component of the software.

Go figure. We calculate three years and we will be asked to go it alone again with our “know nothing” staff.

And they wonder why this country is going to hell in a handbag.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bill_pfaff View Post
    It isn't just the automakers. I'm in computers and all to many times I have seen management bring in the "Experts" to at best have them say the same thing we were telling them for months or more or at worst lie and rip them off by leading then down the rosy path. You know who I'm talking about. The ones that wear a suit, come from 50+ miles away, and charge $200+ an hour.

I had an employer pay 50 million + dollars over 5 years to a "Consulting" firm to implement an ERP system (software package). After they failed for the second time my employer came to us (the employees) and asked if we thought we could put it in. We told them we could have had it in production three years earlier and they gave us 9 months and one shot to do it.

The package has been running like a clock for seven years now and as a pay back they just contracted with another "Consulting" firm to the tune of 70 million for an implementation of another component of the software.

Go figure. We calculate three years and we will be asked to go it alone again with our “know nothing” staff.

And they wonder why this country is going to hell in a handbag.
    I'm guessing that part of that has to do with the company's image. If for some reason you guys couldn't pull off the job, it's going to make the company look incompetent. But if they subcontract and it fails, they can say in the face of PR that they tried, but it was not really their fault, and place the blame squarely on the contractor. I think it's because it's easier for them to not bother to get to know what kind of talent that have on their own team, so instead they play it safe at the cost of blowing some $$ on the project.

That's just my take on it. I may be wrong.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

The problem with consultants is the hourly rate. We have seen the same thing.

For example, the company that I work for makes an inventory/distribution package, we do very well for auto parts companies. We just signed a very well known company (resurected) that made a stylish car in the 1980's that was featured in a movie with Michael J. Fox. Anyhow, this company hired a consultant to review our software and the market, to a tune of something like $200/hour. Our software cost them like $10,000, the consultant cost them like $18,000 and they said to go ahead and put our system in becuase we can do what they want.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Who knows what lurks in their minds.

It's just very demoralizing to the staff. We watch all this money go out the door and when it comes to pay increases they mysteriously have no money.

We all talked about quiting once and coming back at the $200+ per hour rate but hay, SOME of us still have ethics.

I'd say it was just me and my old fashioned ways but when we took over the project there wasn't one person that didn't forfeit vacations and put in an untold number of unpaid hours in OT to make it happen. Actually it was quite refreshing to see the younger employees right in there with us "more mature" individuals.

Everything that I've read on this is that Chrysler has been nothing be a net POSITIVE for Diamler. Looks like maybe they raided the cash that Chryslter had and will sell it off w/o cash if they can. But it was a money maker for Diamler over the past few years.

Default Offer to by Chrylser

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/f...8c7579&k=39152

American billionaire Kirk Kerkorian's investment firm Tracinda Corp. has sent a letter to DaimlerChrysler AG's supervisory board, offering to buy its Chrysler unit for US$4.5-billion in cash.

Tracinda said it was prepared to post a deposit of US$100-million "in order to demonstrate its good faith." In exchange, it wants exclusive right to conduct due diligence on Chrysler's business for 60 days.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123