GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default dodge owner looking at a chevy...got some ?s

hey guys im new here. just want to start off by saying i currently own a 01 dodge ram 1500 sport 4x4... and what a p.o.s it is.... ive had it for almost a year. i bought it used with 115k miles on it and it now has only 124k miles and ive put in over $6-7k of work. and it still needs help. more than what i can give it. i am a college student driving 25 miles one way to class each day...so i need a reliable truck. im the onyl one in my family that owns a dodge...lol everyone else owns a chevy. anyway..my truck has problems...and i am thinking maybe it would be better to just get rid of it for a chevy....both my parents have one and have over 215k miles on each...and have put less $ into them together than what i have into my ram. im looking for something i can trade my truck for and not have alot of problems because i cant really afford to keep fixing expensive crap like the tranny, cracked head, new exhaust..and all the other **** thats wrong with my dodge.

i found a truck that looks interesting...i know its a 98 but imo i think the older style chevy's look the best.

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/in...2&cardist=6109

theer is the link to the one i was lookin at.

my question to you fellow silverado owners is, what are some of the common problems on these trucks? What should i check out and look for? what does exempt miles mean? is this a good deal?

please give your input..good or bad. thanks
    Last edited by townsley4; 03-31-2010 at 07:14 PM.

For a 1998' to have only 86K miles and from the pictures it looks to be in Great Condition....As far as problem's,maybe some of the members that have that Model,can give you some input.If it were me and everything check out OK,....I Buy It!!....It's a sharp looking Truck,Good Luck.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 03-31-2010 at 07:25 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Thats a nice lookin truck buddy. Get rid of that POS Dodge, and pick up a bow tie. Then you can officially join the GF family!

2008 Silverado
    4.8 V8
    2WD
    2" RC leveling kit

that chevy is clean for it's age and mileage. i say go get 'er!!
    2K Bowtie Silverado xCab 5.3L
    7" Fabtech Suspension Lift + 3" Perf Acc. Body Lift
    K&N Air Intake + Edelbrock Shorty Ceramic Headers + Flowmaster Super 10 Series dumped after muffler!
    Bridgestone Dueler 285/75/16 on stock rims
    SSBC Slotted Rotors & Pads
    HID Driving & Fog Lights

(AR Bajas + ProComp 305/70/16) <-- seasonal set

Holee smokes, that is a nice truck for that price. Do it and let the modding begin hehe

1997 GMC Sierra SLT
    Debadged/demolded, Billet Grille, JBA s/s shorty headers, Magnaflow true duals, Magnaflow cats, K & N FIPK, Stainless nerf bars, Drop Center bumper, RCX 4" lift, XD Hoss Black, 33" DC Mud Country, Bushwacker flares, Black Bear tuned

hey thanks for the replies. yea thats what i thought to, havnt had a chance to look at it yet. does anyone know what exempt miles means?

anyone know what i should look out for. comon problems..noises..while test driving?? i emailed the owner and asked for some under hood photos and how many owners its had.

and modding...haha eventually i want to get a lift..nothing extreme though. hell ill take anything as long as it will run better than my dodge and i wont have to keep replaceing one thing after another.

nice looking truck that u r interested in. u could probably talk them down on that price a bit! i had an 89 model. fueleconomy.com says 12 city, & 16 hwy. hope that helps some!
    Carl
    2005 GMC Sierra 1500, reg cab, 4.8 ltr, 5 spd, 4X4, Flowmaster 40 series w/3" exhaust pipes & 4" tips. ReadyLift torsion bar keys(part#66-3000), K&N air filter (soon to be getting a AFE Pro Dry S airfilter), & airbox mod .

ive been searchign this forum, and came across the intake gasket...is this a big issue with the 90's models?

nice, thanks for that link. it seems the intake gasket is one of the most common problems. these expensive to replace? is there a way id be able to tell if it is bad on this truck? without having it for months to notice the loss of coolant?

If all else fails and its possible to do so, take it to a mechanic to look at. I did that with my 05 before I bought it just to be sure. Only cost $25
    Fire Mission!....:grrrrrr:

2005 silverado 4x4 ext cab
    3 inch body lift everything else stock for the moment
    suspension lift and tires coming soon

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by